The Nedbank Cup is labelled as the cup Chiefs struggle to clinch, however the Amakhosi will be hoping to change all that against Bidvest Wits
Kaizer Chiefs get another chance to try and beat Bidvest Wits when they meet again in the Nedbank Cup on Saturday night. The Amakhosi have been poor when playing Wits in cup competitions in recent years. The last time both teams met in a cup tie, Wits claimed Chiefs scalp with a 3-2 win in the Telkom Knockout Cup earlier this season.
Improving under new coach Clive Barker, Wits will be confident of getting positive results against the untouchable Chiefs side, who have only lost once in the league this season.
The Clever Boys will be highly motivated by the 1996 Afcon winning coach Clive Barker, who guided them to two victories in three games. Another thing that could be an advantage to Wits, is the fact that they still have the same squad that beat Chefs last year.
However, Chiefs will be boosted by their influential captain Itumeleng Khune, who missed the Telkom tie against the students last time out, and he will also bring the experience he gained during the recent Afcon.
Over the years the teams that troubled Chiefs in this tournament include FC Cape Town, Tuks, Nathi Lions and Baroka FC. So, you can't count on league form in the Nedbank Cup.
All eyes will be on Tefu Mashamaite against his former club Wits. Mashamaite has cemented his place in Stuart Baxter’s starting line-up, and scored an opening goal in Chiefs’ previous match against Black Leopards.
Other players that will also draw the attention of the fans will be Tinashe Nengomasha’s battle against his former midfield twin Reneilwe Letsholonyane in the middle of the park. Although the two play in more defensive roles, Yeye is likely to also push forward from box to box as he has been normally doing. The player that will be on top of this battle will probably win the match for his team.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Kaizer Chiefs couldn't win this cup since it was sponsored by Nedbank. The last time they won the Cup was in 2006 when they beat Pirates in the final.
- Bidvest Wits won the Nedbank Cup in 2010 beating AmaZulu in the final.
- This game will be another chance for former Bafana coaches to meet each other in the PSL.
- The last player to go to Chiefs directly from Wits was Gert Schalkwyk, following the steps of Stanton Fredericks and Rowen Fernandez.
- One of Chiefs’ most disappointing results of the Nedbank Cup competition was when they were upset 2-1 by minnows Baroka FC.