African Warriors will visit United FC in all-NFD clash for a place in the semifinals of the Nedbank Cup at the Moruleng Stadium on Sunday afternoon.
United FC will welcome African Warriors in the quarterfinal match of the Nedbank Cup on Sunday afternoon and only one team from the National First Division will progress to the next round of the tournament.
Although a lot of fans may have liked to see these two NFD teams play against the PSL teams, a few will regard this fixture as a blessing in disguise because the NFD will certainly be represented in the semifinals of this year’s competition.
Warriors will however, be hoping to have an easier game than the one they had against a stubborn Maluti FET side in the last 16. The Qwaqwa-based outfit needed penalty shootouts to defeat Maluti FET College who ousted Pirates in the last 32 of the same competition.
African Warriors have done much better on the road this season and a place in the semifinals will be more than just an achievement for them.
United on the other hand, will be looking for revenge against Warriors who beat them in the first round of the league at the same venue late last year.
Warriors will put their faith in their Ivorian striker Brice Aka who was instrumental in their last game against Maluti FET and he was rewarded with a man of the match award, but he will be closely watched by Walter Maponyane who could miss the semis should he get booked this afternoon.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- United have scored five goals in their last two Nedbank Cup games played at the Moruleng Stadium.
- African Warriors will be facing their first real test against United as they have only played against teams from the second division – Jacksa Spears and Maluti FET College.
- In their last meeting, Warriors beat United 2-1 in a league encounter at the Moruleng Stadium back in November.
- United and Warriors are tight on points (31) on the NFD log, though Warriors have a game in hand.
- United beat Jomo Cosmos 1-0 to book themselves a place in the last eight, while Warriors came from a goal down to defeat Maluti FET 4-1 on penalties.