The Tshwane Derby will be a hotly contested affair between two sides which have experienced disappointing PSL campaigns
Langerman, Mwanjali, Schut, Nyandoro
Domingues, Zwane, Mabaso
Laffor, Mphela, Mushekwi
Nkausu, September, Diouf, Kekana
Mulenga, Doutie, Mdluli
Erasmus, Hartog, Paulse
Wayne Sandilands believes that the Tshwane Derby is on par with its more illustrious counterpart, in terms of how much winning the match means to the players on the pitch.
“Off the field the Soweto derby is bigger in terms of support and hype that surrounds the game, but I believe that the Tshwane rivalry is just as fierce as the Sowetan derby on the field,” Sandilands told reporters.
“The Tshwane derby always has an extra bite. This game is a big game because both sides find themselves in the bottom half of the log.”
The two teams have met on two occasions this season, with Sundowns winning their Telkom Knockout clash and playing to a 0-0 draw in September during the reverse fixture in the league.
Both sides have struggled this season and find themselves in the bottom half of the table. It has been a tale of draws for Gavin Hunt's SuperSport United, who are one game away from equalling the record for the most amount of draws in a PSL season.
Injured Matsatsantsa midfielder George Maluleka is confident that his side can finally secure a victory against Sundowns on Sunday and also believes that the Tshwane Derby is gaining importance.
“The guys are looking sharp in training and are excited for the game on Sunday. The mood is great at the team is focussed because they know they should of gathered all three points against Free State Stars,” says Maluleka.
“I do think the Tshwane derby is on the up and that it is as fierce as the Sowetan derby. The Tshwane derby doesn’t receive all the hype it deserves”.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- SuperSport United has recorded 13 draws this season, with their last encounter ending in a familiar 1-1 draw against Free State Stars.
- Mamelodi Sundowns coach Pitso Mosimane lost his first game while being in charge of the Brazilians against Moroka Swallows, despite dominating the majority of the clash.
- Katlego Mphela and Kermit Erasmus are the top scorers for both sides this season - with the two strikers each notching up three goals.
- Matsatsantsa sit on ninth place on the log with 25 points after 20 games.
- Sundowns are two places and two points behind SuperSport in 11th place with 23 points after 20 games played.