thumbnail Hello,


  • 31 August 2013
  • • 18:00
  • • Lucas Masterpieces Moripe Stadium, Pretoria, GT
  • Referee: R. Smith
  • • Attendance: 17000

SuperSport United 3-1 Kaizer Chiefs: United hammer Chiefs in dramatic fashion

SuperSport United 3-1 Kaizer Chiefs: United hammer Chiefs in dramatic fashion

Getty Images

Three second half goals from Matsatsantsa were enough to hand Chiefs their first defeat of the season at the Lucas Moripe Stadium on Saturday

Kaizer Chiefs had a better start to the first half against SuperSport United, as they dominated possession from the first whistle and made their intensions very clear.

Lucky Baloyi, in for Reneilwe Letsholonyane, was set up by Knowledge Musona in the 4th minute, but the midfielder’s shot went wide from the edge of the box.

Siphiwe Tshabalala found himself inside the SuperSport United box in the 18th minute after being spotted by Willard Katsande, and the Chiefs winger pulled the trigger, only for Ronwen Williams to parry for a corner.

Chiefs forced their opponents to make mistakes inside their own half, and were deservedly awarded a penalty in the 29th minute after Musona’s shot came off Edwin Gyimah’s hand inside the box.

Bernard Parker stepped up and coolly slotted home, sending Williams the wrong way to the delight of AmaKhosi fans.

Chiefs continued to play some entertaining football, and they were patient with their build-ups towards the end of the first half.

Tshabalala should have done better in the 43rd minute when he blasted his shot over the bar from Siboniso Gaxa’s cross, as Chiefs took their 1-0 lead into the second half.

The visitors started where they left off in the first half and pushed forward in search of the second goal. Musona was fouled just outside the United box in the 49th minute, but Tshabalala’s attempt from the resultant free-kick was saved by Williams.

SuperSport United equalized through Enocent Mkhabela’s 55th minute stunner that gave Itumeleng Khune no chance after a lay-off from David Mathebula.

Musona thought he had scored in the 63rd minute, but his shot was brilliantly saved by Williams for Chiefs’ corner, as the visitors continued to push for that second goal.

United came to the party and looked really good at times, as they wanted to collect maximum points at home. Mathebula made a nice turn inside the Chiefs box in the 67th minute, but the Chiefs dealt easily with his shot.

United took the lead for the first time on the night after Thuso Phala’s shot was saved by Khune in the 71st minute, but Bennett Chenene reacted quicker to make it 2-1 from the rebound.

Chiefs looked lost after conceding the second goal, and they fouled Chenene in the box and referee Robert Smith did not hesitate to give United a penalty. Bradley Grobler stood up to make 3-1 with 15 minutes to go.

AmaKhosi threw everybody forward in search of two goals, but SuperSport United held on to their lead, as they returned to the number one position on the log with a vital win against the defending champions.