thumbnail Hello,


  • 03 August 2013
  • • 20:15
  • • Lucas Masterpieces Moripe Stadium, Pretoria, GT
  • Referee: V. Gomes
  • • Attendance: 1000

SuperSport United 4-1 Free State Stars: Johnson off to a good start at United

SuperSport United 4-1 Free State Stars: Johnson off to a good start at United

Getty Images

Cavin Johnson got off to a perfect start after guiding SuperSport United to a 4-1 win over Free State Stars at the Lucas Moripe Stadium on Saturday night

Both SuperSport United and Free State Stars had their new signings in their starting line-ups, and the visitors were the first to break the deadlock in the 11th minute through Mongezi Bobe after some poor goalkeeping from Ronwen Williams who let the ball slip out of his hands into the net.

United didn’t sit back after conceding that goal as they pushed forward more often. They won a corner in the 17th minute after Daniel Agyei parried David Mathebula’s deflected shot for a corner.

Thabo September tried his luck from the resultant corner, but Agyei put his body behind the ball to block for another corner which resultant in an open play.

SuperSport United won a free-kick on the edge of the Stars box in the 31st minute, but Thuso Phala could not get his shot past the visitors’ wall.

Stars should have doubled their lead after catching their opponents on the counter, but Williams denied Ruben Thebakang before his second attempt went wide of the posts.

On 43 minutes, Soriola Gege was given his orders for apparently blocking Mame Niang’s way with an elbow in the box, and the lanky striker dusted himself up to send Agyei the wrong way as United and Stars were locked at 1-1 after the first 45 minutes.

SuperSport United started the second half with a stunner from Bennett Chenene who struck from outside the Stars box to beat Agyei in the 49th minute.

With only 10 men, Stars never gave anything away, but they often needed numbers in the final third as the tempo of the game started to drop. At this stage, there neither of the two sides could show any signs of scoring.

Komphela then introduced their last season’s top goalscorer Luyolo Nomandela to try and unsettle the United defence and possibly get the equalizer, but the attacking midfielder was closely watched by Edwin Gyimah.

The home side threatened with over 10 minutes to go, but the Stars defence led by Sadate Okoriko, dealt with the danger very easily.

SuperSport United put the game to bed in the 84th minute through Sameehg Doutie’s thumping shot from inside the Stars box to beat Agyei into the back of the net.

Stars responded immediately with a free-kick from Nomandela, but Williams brilliantly parried for a corner to keep the score at 3-1.

Mame Niang scored his second of the night in stoppage time after a well taken free-kick by Jabulani Maluleke to beat Agyei who came a long way to punch but was beaten for height as United claimed all the three points on the night.