thumbnail Hello,


  • 12 August 2014
  • • 19:30
  • • Lucas Masterpieces Moripe Stadium, Pretoria, GT
  • Referee: V. Gomes
  • • Attendance: 1500

Bradley Grobler, Supersport United

SuperSport United 1-0 Chippa United: Matsatsantsa record first league win

Bradley Grobler, Supersport United


SuperSport United recorded their first Absa Premiership victory of this season after defeating Chippa United 1-0 at the Lucas Moripe Stadium on Tuesday night

Hosts SuperSport United were targeting maximum points heading into the tricky fixture against a Chippa United side brimming with confidence.
It was the visitors who had the first shot on target in the eighth minute, when Chippa striker David Zulu strike was easily gathered by Bafana Bafana goalkeeper Ronwen Williams in the SuperSport goal.
Just two minutes later at the other end, debutant Dove Wome forced Chippa keeper Tshepo Motsoeneng into a brilliant save to deny the Togolese international, and the rebound was immediately cleared away by defender Bheki Nzunga.
The Chilli Boys responded via midfielder William Twala's thunderous effort at goal, but Matsatsantsa keeper Williams was equal to the task in the 18th minute.
It was end-to-end stuff, with both the keepers Williams and Motsoeneng kept busy in a cold night at the Lucas Moripe Stadium.
The home side finally got the goal they had been looking for in the 25th minute via a penalty spot-kick by new SuperSport captain and defender Clayton Daniels.
This was after former Orlando Pirates defender Nzunga was judged to have handled the ball inside his own box, and Daniels converted the resultant penalty with ease.
Two efforts from Chippa captain Andile Mbenyane and SuperSport winger Thuso Phala followed in the 27th and 32nd minute respectively, but they were both well saved by the two keepers.
The entertaining first-half ended at 1-0 in favour of SuperSport. On-loan Mamelodi Sundowns player Wome who had been involved in almost every Matsatsantsa attack, was by far the best player on the pitch. 
The two teams continued from where they left off in the first stanza, as Chippa forward Mbenyane's long range effort was well saved by Williams seven minutes into the second-half.
In the 56th minute, new Matsatsantsa striker Prince Nxumalo failed to take advantage of keeper Motsoeneng's error at the back, after the 35-year-old shot-stopper had miskicked the ball.
Just five minutes after the hour-mark both teams were reduced to ten men, when SuperSport striker Nxumalo and Chippa defender Christopher Komane were both red-card for studs up.
With three minutes left on the clock, Chippa striker Zulu was just unfortunate as his well taken effort struck the post with time running out for the Port Elizabeth-based outfit,
Chippa continued to search for the equalizing goal, but the Matsatsantsa backline led by captain Daniels stood firm against the Chilli Boys attacks.
The home side managed to hang on to the lead, and the match referee blew the whistle for full-time, with SuperSport winning 1-0 on the night.