Durban hosts what promises to be an intriguing World Cup qualifier, as both nations strive for victory in an attempt to edge past Ethiopia
Nthethe, Mathoho, Hlatshwayo, Masilela
Serero, Dikgacoi, Letsholonyane, Tshabalala
Thuma, Olerile, Ncenga, Mothlabankwe
Mongala,Nato, Moloi, Mogorosi
Gordon Igesund understands that a victory is imperative, not only to boost his side’s chances of overcoming Group A leaders Ethiopia, but to restore pride in the South African team.
Bafana Bafana will need a victory on Saturday in order to still hold onto hopes of Ethiopia faltering in Brazzaville, where the Walia Antelopes play Central African Republic.
Similarly, Botswana can still trump Ethiopia at the top of the table if the Zebras defeat South Africa and the Group A leaders lose in the Congo.
Permutations aside, South Africa has never lost against Botswana in a competitive international fixture. Their record stands them in good stead to garner a victory on Saturday.
However, Botswana is an improving side and has recorded impressive results during the qualification campaign, including a 1-1 draw with South Africa at home.
The team utilises a number of South African-based players, including the midfield threat of Joel Mogorosi and Platinum Stars goal-poacher Mogakolodi Ngele.
The match should be open from the very first minute, as both sides gun for a surprise berth into the next round of World Cup qualification.
Catch all the action live on Goal South Africa, with kick-off at 15:30 on Saturday afternoon.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Botswana striker Mogakolodi Ngele notched up 10 goals in 25 games for Platinum Stars last season.
- Bernard Parker scored an own goal against Ethiopia in Addis Ababa which looked to have knocked South Africa out of World Cup qualification.
- Bafana Bafana have never lost to Botswana, recording two wins and a draw against the Zebras.
- Botswana defeated Malawi 1-0 in an international friendly on Tuesday, while South Africa were victorious against Burkina Faso in their last match.
- Bafana striker Tokelo Rantie recently made the move to AFC Bournemouth which plays in the Championship in England.