thumbnail Hello,

League Cup

  • 05 October 2013
  • • 20:15
  • • Peter Mokaba Stadium, Polokwane (Pietersburg)
  • Referee: M. Julius

Polokwane City 0-3 Kaizer Chiefs: AmaKhosi surge into TKO quarter-finals

Polokwane City 0-3 Kaizer Chiefs: AmaKhosi surge into TKO quarter-finals


Tefu Mashaimaite's double and Knowledge Musona's clinical finish secured Kaizer Chiefs a spot in the next round of the Telkom Knockout

Kaizer Chiefs provided a dominant display to crush Polokwane City 3-0 in a Telkom Knockout round of 16 clash on Saturday night.

Tefu Mashaimaite scored twice with his head to put Chiefs in control, with Knowledge Musona netting the third to give AmaKhosi an unassailable lead.

Chiefs started the match like a house on fire, as Lethsolonyane tested Mayala from close range, but Rise and Shine’s goalkeeper was up to the task in the third minute.

Yeye was involved in Chief’s second chance of the match as he set up Parker with a deft cut back, but the striker blasted his effort over the crossbar with nine minutes on the clock.

Polokwane City did not look out of their depth when Rakhale tested Khune with a thunderbolt from long range, which AmaKhosi’s keeper tipped over the crossbar.

The home side played fluid counterattacking football, almost scoring the opener when Nzimande found Molekwane free on the right hand side of the midfield, but the striker’s shot went wide in the 22nd minute.

However, Chiefs were able to punish their hosts as the first half took shape and Tefu Mashamaite made no mistake in burying a header, after Parker swung in a corner to find the towering defender in the 34th minute of the match.

Polokwane City failed to launch a comeback in the final ten minutes of the first half, and the game headed to half time with AmaKhosi holding a slender lead.

Musona almost doubled Chiefs lead early in the second half, but miscued his attempt at goal after latching onto a long ball. Minutes later, the Zimbabwean hit another strike wide after receiving a neat cut-back from Lebese.

Kingston Nkhatha racked up another chance for Chiefs with 53 minutes on the clock, receiving a Lebese corner kick at the far post, but firing his attempt wide as the visitors edged closer to killing off the game.

Polokwane City’s chances to get back into the game were few and far between, Chiefs iron grip on proceedings continued.

With 30 minutes to go, Masilela chipped shot beat an onrushing Mayala, but Mkhabela provided a desperate clearance before the ball crossed the line.

Six minutes later, Mashaimaite’s second of the night all but secured a spot in the quarter-finals for Chiefs, as he headed home after latching onto another Parker corner kick.

There was no mercy from AmaKhosi, as Musona struck a third by springing the offside trap and finishing the move with a skilful chip over Mayala, putting Chiefs 3-0 up in the 74th minute.  

Three goals were enough for Chiefs to set up a Telkom Knockout quarter final berth, as the defending league champions look back to their menacing best.