thumbnail Hello,


  • 27 August 2014
  • • 19:30
  • • Royal Bafokeng Stadium, Phokeng, NW
  • Referee: K. Qongqo
  • • Attendance: 20000

Letsholonyane opened the scoring as Chiefs beat Dikwena 2-0

Platinum Stars 0-2 Kaizer Chiefs: AmaKhosi dim Stars to regain top spot

Letsholonyane opened the scoring as Chiefs beat Dikwena 2-0

Getty Images

Kaizer Chiefs maintained their 100 per cent start to the season with a comfortable 2-0 win over Platinum Stars at the Royal Bafokeng Stadium on Wednesday night

Platinum Stars came into this league encounter seeking revenge over Kaizer Chiefs, while the Soweto giants were only looking to consolidate their spot at the top of the PSL log with another three points. 

The visitors started the game like a house on fire, but it was Dikwena who created the best goalscoring in the 10th minute as Patrick Malokase dodged Tsepo Masilela on the right hand side.

However, his cross was stopped by goalkeeper Itumeleng Khune, who had to use his foot to clear the danger after it eluded Lucky Nguzana by a few inches. 

Reneilwe Letsholonyane then punished Dikwena with a brilliantly taken goal in the 20th minute after an enterprising display that involved Yeye, Mandla Masango and George Maluleka on the edge of the Stars' box.  

Allan Freese's charges were, nonetheless, not discouraged by that goal and continued to play their attacking brand of football although that left them exposed at the back.

It didn't take long before they were made to pay, as AmaKhosi doubled their lead through George Lebese, who struck with his weaker foot and into the back of the net just after the half-hour mark.

The Rustenburg-based side found it hard to break down the AmaKhosi defence while their opponents never gave them a chance to breath, and they needed a better plan in the second half.  

AmaKhosi were on top of Dikwena soon after the restart, with Maluleka firing with his right foot from distance, only for Kabelo Dambe to tip his effort over the bar for a corner.  

Dambe was again denied Maluleka with another fantastic save in the 50th minute, although the Chiefs midfielder should have at least tried to pass the ball to Letsholonyane, who was better positioned

Malokase came close toward the hour-mark as Dikwena looked to pull one back, but his header went straight to Khune. Nguzana was also given space to head towards goal a few moments later, but his attempt sailed over the bar.

Luvolwethu Mpeta had his shot blocked by Ndumiso Mabena in the 70th minute, as Dikwena continue to exert more pressure on Chiefs, who were a bit sloppy at the back midway through the second half.  

Nonetheless, Stuart Baxter's charges held on for their fourth successive league win and their third against Dikwena in less than a month in all competitions to regain their spot.