thumbnail Hello,

8 Cup

  • 10 August 2013
  • • 15:00
  • • Royal Bafokeng Stadium, Phokeng, NW
  • Referee: K. Qongqo
  • • Attendance: 1500

Platinum Stars 3-0 Free State Stars: Dikwena dominant during battle of the stars

Platinum Stars 3-0 Free State Stars: Dikwena dominant during battle of the stars


Benson Mhlongo, Siphelele Mthembu and Mogakolodi Ngele all scored during Platinum Stars MTN 8 quarterfinal win over Free State Stars on Saturday

Platinum Stars provided a clinical display in maiming Free State Stars 3-0 during their MTN 8 quarterfinal on Saturday afternoon.  

Benson Mhlongo put the home side into the lead on the 25 minute mark, with a well-placed header into the top right corner of the net.

Dikwena then doubled their lead via another header in the 40th minute, with an unmarked Siphelele Mthembu taking the game out of Free State Star’s reach.  

The score was added to further, as a rampant Dikwena found a third in the 80th minute, when Mogakolodi Ngele curled a free kick past Motsoeneng to continue the dominat display.

The first chance of the match fell to Lindokuhle Mbatha in the 9th minute, as his long range pile-driver struck the crossbar.

Free State Stars responded with a chance of their own four minutes later, as Paulus Masehe struck a powerful drive towards goal which narrowly missed the target.

The match turned into a cagey affair as the first half wore on, until Platinum Stars took the lead via a Benson Mhlongo header with 25 minutes on the clock. Mere found the defender with a corner kick and Mhlongo merely placed his header past a stranded Motsoeneng in goal.

Ela Lla Kotla tried to respond as the first half continued, but Platinum Stars continued their enterprising play and nearly went two goals up in the 40th minute, as Mthembu volleyed an effort onto the post, whiskers away from another goal for Dikwena.

Trailing 1-0 at half time Free State Stars needed a positive start to the second stanza, but were put under the pump once again by a free flowing Dikwena, who almost scored once more in the 48th minute, when Ng'ambi blazed his shot over the bar.

The visitors tried to create chances, but Mpontshane remained strong in goal for Dikwena, saving another Masehe effort with 56 minutes on the clock.

Minutes later, Steve Komphela showed his hand by replacing the relatively ineffective Mongezi Bobe with Mduduzi Nyanda, in order to enhance the midfield department which was being dominated by Dikwena.

Ella Lla Kotla were guilty of lacklustre passing as the game continued, often spurning chances which were being created by some patient build-up play.

Their profligacy was punished as Platinum Stars went 2-0 up in the 74th, through a goal from Siphelele Mthembu. A pinpoint free kick from Ngele found the unmarked Mthembu at the far post, who headed home to take the game out of Ela Lla Kotla’s reach.  

Six minutes later, Mogakolodi Ngele provided a breath-taking free kick which beat Motsoeneng to put Dikwena 3-0, with his curling effort somehow finding the back of the net from a tight angle.