thumbnail Hello,


  • 09 February 2014
  • • 15:30
  • • Royal Bafokeng Stadium, Phokeng, NW
  • Referee: P. Tinyani
  • • Attendance: 1733

Platinum Stars celebrate their win

Platinum Stars FC 1-0 Free State Stars FC: Ngele upsets visitors with late finish

Platinum Stars celebrate their win

Getty Images

Platinum Stars scored a late goal in injury time through Mogakolodi Ngele at the Royal Bafokeng Stadium, on Sunday afternoon.

Both sides settled early into the match, displaying a free flowing encounter as both teams moved the ball around attractively. A quarter way in saw neither side taking any risks as they seemed content in holding onto possession.

In the 20th minute, Ea Lla Koto’s Danny Venter broke through down the right to deliver a cross into the danger zone, with no one on the receiving end to finish off the great run. Shortly after it was the home side’s captain Vuyo Mere who occupied some space in the attacking third before finding Henrico Botes with an exquisite through ball into the 18 yard area. Botes was unable to keep the ball under control and wasted a fantastic opportunity.

In the 27th minute Free State defender Mbhuyiselo Sambu intercepted the ball at the back from Botes, he immediately broke through on a counter attack as he raced across the field. Though he was extremely unfortunate to see a buildup he initiated, result in his shot whistling past the woodwork.

Half hour in, the visitors lifted the tempo of the game, utilizing their right winger Danny Venter who was quite nippy down the line. The Qwaqwa based outfit attempted numerous shots from range, testing the credentials of goalkeeper Siyabonga Mpontshane.

Dikwena had their best opportunity come in the 32nd minute when Robert Ng’ambi had a clear path on goal after a slip up by defender Jurie Basie. Ng’ambi’s was denied getting a shot in when Basie fouled him just outside the 18 yard area, and was lucky to only receive a yellow card.

Before the stroke of half time it was the former Mamelodi Sundows attacker Richard Henyekane who was graced with a one on one opportunity with the goalkeeper, Henyekane was unable to keep his composure and fired straight at Siyabonga Mpontshane.

Platinum Stars took more riskd in the second period, utilizing their wingers to get those crosses into the 18 yard area and shooting from distance. Coach Allan Freese introduced Siphelele Mthembu and John Mbatha as they look to find the opening goal.

Freese’s tactics almost proved vital in the 65th minute, when Dikwena should have taken the lead through Mogakolodi Ngele’s shot from close range. The shot was deflected for a corner after Ngele received a gifted pass from Mthembu.

Ea Lla Koto found the back of the net in the 84th minute through their captain Paulus Masehe, but had his goal disallowed for Masehe being in an offside position.

Platinum Stars super sub Ngele upset the visitors when he struck a clinical finish inside the 18 yard area in injury time. The home side picked up maximum points as they moved three places on the PSL table to fifth spot.