SuperSport United will take on the Angolan side Petro de Luanda in the first round of the Caf Confederation Cup tie in Luanda on Sunday afternoonSuperSport United will be hoping for valuable results away from home, as they are out in Angola to face Petro de Luanda in the first leg of the Caf Confederation Cup on Sunday afternoon.
Matsatsantsa travelled with all their regular players and coach Gavin Hunt is expected to field his strongest starting eleven against the 15-time Angolan league champions. United will also be looking to at least score more than just a goal in this clash, understanding that a single goal is sometimes not enough going into the second leg.
The three-time PSL champions had to fight until the final whistle against Don Bosco in their previous match of this competition, and came back from two goals down to draw 3-3 with the DRC side despite winning by an odd goal in the first leg.
SuperSport United will go into this match having won their last two domestic games and they will be hoping to carry on from where they left off against Vasco Da Gama in the Nedbank Cup on Wednesday night. However, United will have to first absorb the pressure from Petro de Luanda’s fans who are expected to come in their numbers.
Hunt will be banking on Thabiso Nkoana and Kermit Erasmus upfront for goals. The duo have played a huge role for the Tshwane-based team this season and have scored crucial goals for United. Nkoana was on the score sheet when United beat Don Bosco away in DRC, while Erasmus scored in the second leg against the same Don Bosco two weeks later.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Petro de Luanda have 15 Angolan league titles, nine Angolan Cup titles and five Angolan Super Cup titles since founded in 1980.
- SuperSport United are playing in the Caf confederation cup for the first time in their history having represented South Africa in the Caf champions league on three occasions.
- Petro de Luanda play their home games at Estadio 11 de Novembro which has the maximum capacity of 50 000 spectators.
- SuperSport beat Don Bosco 4-3 on aggregate to set up an appointment with Petro de Luanda.
- Angolan national team captain Manucho, Flavio and Felix Katongo have previously played for Petro de Luanda.