thumbnail Hello,


  • 07 December 2012
  • • 20:00
  • • Volkswagen Dobsonville Stadium, Johannesburg, GA
  • Referee: D. Volgraaff
  • • Attendance: 750

Moroka Swallows 1-3 SuperSport United: SuperSport seal first away win of the season in Soweto

Moroka Swallows 1-3 SuperSport United: SuperSport seal first away win of the season in Soweto

Gavin Hunt's side secured only their second win of the season, after dismantling a lackluster Swallows defense on three occasions

SuperSport United won their first away game of the season, after defeating Moroka Swallows 3-1 at the Dobsinville Stadium on Friday night.

The MTN8 finalists met each other once more in a PSL clash which saw SuperSport take an early lead as Ashley Hartog punished some poor defending from Swallows in the 5th minute.

Nathan Paulse put SuperSport into a commanding 2-0 lead, but Katlego Mashego sparked Swallows into what looked like a revival with a 57th minute penalty. The Dube Birds were brought back down to earth when George Maluleka scored Matasantza’s third a minute later.    

Swallows were hoping to recover from a poor slump in their league season, which has put Zeca Marques under immense pressure to find results.  

SuperSport United started the game without a single win away from home and only one win the entire season.

Played in front of a sparse crowd, the first chance of the match fell to Nathan Paulse, who tried to place a header past Aubrey Mathibe, but the goalkeeper was able to turn the ball around the post. Kermit Erasmus was the architect of the opportunity and was once more in action seconds later with a strike at goal.  

SuperSport’s domination resulted in an early goal from Ashley Hartog. Roscoe Pietersen flicked on a direct goal kick from Ronwen Williams which was defended poorly by Swallows, as Shere Lekgothoane swiped at a clearance and missed the ball completely.

SuperSport punished the mistake when Sahmeeg Doutie collected the ball in the box and provided Hartog with a low cross which was finished with ease by the former Cape Town FC player.

Swallows’ defensive weaknesses had been exposed but their attacking threat remained as Katlego Mashego attempted to find the back of the net with powerful strike but the impressive Ronwen Williams was on hand with a strong save. Bennet Chenene looked to finish at the near post after latching onto the rebound, but Williams stifled Swallows’ attempts to score once more.

Swallows could not find the equaliser before half time despite applying constant pressure with good build-up play. The Dube Birds’ showed good intent after conceding the early goal and their second half performance would prove vital to the result of the match.

But Swallows’ defensive woes continued to haunt them when Nathan Paulse scored SuperSport’s second goal in the 51st minute. Lucas Thwala sent in a long ball towards Paulse, who controlled the ball with a superb turn and slotted home from 10 yards.

Swallows hit back six minutes later as a rather innocuous hand-ball from Thabo September saw Katlego Mashego hit a penalty kick past Williams.

A comeback could have been on hand, but the Dube Birds suffered yet another setback when SuperSport burst forward and George Maluleka punished Swallows with Matasantza’s third, providing a sublime finish from outside the box.

Malululeka’s strike ended the goal frenzy, where three goals were scored in eight minutes. SuperSport continued to look potent as the half progressed but their goal tally was not added to.

A vital three points were awarded to a much improved SuperSport United and Swallows’ horror run continues, piling pressure on the shoulders of Zeca Marques.