thumbnail Hello,


  • 05 April 2013
  • • 20:00
  • • Volkswagen Dobsonville Stadium, Johannesburg, GA
  • Referee: T. Nkosi
  • • Attendance: 5000

Moroka Swallows 1-1 Bidvest Wits: The Dube Birds held by Students

Moroka Swallows 1-1 Bidvest Wits: The Dube Birds held by Students

Swallows’ chances of moving up to the fourth position on the log were dented after being held to a 1-1 draw by Bidvest Wits at the Dobsonville Stadium

Moroka Swallows looked to maintain their fine form at home against Bidvest Wits, having lost only three times at the Dobsonville Stadium this season. 

The Dube Birds started with great pace and captain Lefa Tsutsulupa forced a brilliant save out of Wits keeper Jackson Mabokgwane from a free-kick.

Wits didn’t sit back, as they used Papy Faty and Asive Langwe to penetrate the Swallows defence that was marshalled by Ashraf Hendricks and Larry Cohen in the absence of regular centre-back Roger Da Costa.

Swallows continue to attack their opponents and won the free-kicks in dangerous areas. Tsutsulupa tried to beat Mabokgwane from a free-kick situation in the 21st minute, but the Wits keeper did well to parry the ball over the bar for a corner.  

Wits nearly caught the Swallows defenders flat at the back and Ryan Chapman played the ball behind them to pick captain Sibusiso Vilakazi who failed to hit the target with Cohen keeping a close eye on him.

Both sides kept attacking each and Wits looked dangerous every time they pushed forward, but they were let down by the final touch and ended up firing from distance, as the score remained 0-0 in the first 45 minutes.

Both Swallows and Wits started the second half with full confidence, but it was the visitors who looked to break the deadlock in the opening minutes. Swallows keeper Greg Etafia had to come out of his line to clear the ball to safety inside the first five minutes of the second stanza.

Asive Langwe was booked for simulation, after he fell inside the Swallows box and he was later replaced by Calvin Kadi.

Swallows then took the lead in the 64th minute when substitute Joseph Makhanya played a decent cross from the right to pick up unmarked Bennett Chenene who made no mistake from inside the six yards to put the Dube Birds 1-0 up.

The game lost its tempo, but the visitors continued to search for the equalizer with the home side putting 10 men behind the ball to protect their lead.

Swallows nearly doubled the lead in the 78th minute when Chenene found himself one on one with Mabokgwane, but the Wits keeper dived to his left to keep his team in the game.

However, it was Wits who managed to get the second goal of the game with an equalizer from captain Sibusiso Vilakazi who scored with 10 minutes to play.

Both teams could not create any clear-cut chances in the last 10 minutes of the game, as it ended 1-1 to the relief of the Swallows bench.