thumbnail Hello,


  • 13 April 2013
  • • 15:00
  • • Harry Gwala Stadium, Pietermaritzburg, KN
  • Referee: V. Gomes
  • • Attendance: 3000

Maritzburg United 1 - 2 SuperSport: United eliminates KZN club

Maritzburg United 1 - 2 SuperSport: United eliminates KZN club


SuperSport United booked their spot in the Nedbank Cup semi finals after beating Maritzburg United 2-1 at the Harry Gwala Stadium on Saturday

Although it was the home team that opened the scoring with a goal that came from striker Cuthbert Malajila after eight minutes, it was SuperSport that clinched victory with goals from George Maluleka and Mogogi Gabonamong.

Scoring early on, Malajila continued to be a thorn in SuperSport United's side, contributing much with his passes and shots toward goal. In the 22nd minute Maluleka proved his worth by capitalizing on a mistake that was made by David Booysen at the back. He got a ball inside the box but struck it straight to beat Shu-aib Walters at his near post, where he should have covered it.

In the 45th minute Rheece Evans produced a silly foul which saw him being given a second yellow card and given his marching orders from the field. This made things worse for the home team who had to play with ten players. Ten minutes later Gabonamong capitalized by scoring with a header from a set piece. This saw the two teams going into half time with SuperSport leading 2-1.

In the second half Maluleke continued to knock at the door for another goal at the Maritzburg defence. Thabiso Nkoana came in for Thabiso Mdluli, and looked a bit rusty as he wasted opportunities, especially on the hour mark.

Maluleka fought hard to provide the player with some openings. It was SuperSport that was more in control, but Nkoana was selfish when he tried to score from an awkward angle instead of passing. In the 73rd minute Maritzburg came strong, playing one two's with each other, eventually ending up in the box, only for Malajila to fail to finish.

All KwaZulu-Natal teams are now eliminated from this seasons Nedbank Cup.