With Kaizer Chiefs involved with Caf action this weekend, the door has been left open Sundowns to close the gap on the log-leaders to six points against a resilient Ajax outfit
Moon, Nthethe, Schut, Mashaba
Zungu, Kekana, Modise, Billiat
AJAX CAPE TOWN
Hlathswayo, Krjauklis, Isaacs, Lolo
Dolly, Alexander, Scott, Jenniker
Mamelodi Sundowns return to their fortress when they host Ajax Cape Town in a league clash at Loftus Versfeld on Saturday night, as they look to close the gap on log-leading Kaizer Chiefs.
Chiefs, who lead the Brazilians by nine points, will be involved in a Caf Champions League fixture and will not be involved on the local scene, allowing Sundowns the opportunity of narrowing the deficit and playing one of their two games in hand over the Soweto giants.
Sundowns have only lost a single game at home this season, against Chiefs, and will look to add three more points to their 17 points out of a possible 24 at Loftus.
The Pretoria outfit head into the clash on the back of a smash-and-grab 1-0 win over Orlando Pirates last weekend and are looking for a third consecutive Premiership win.
Ajax, meanwhile, have to find their rhythm and continuity in the league, having only bagged two wins in their last five outings, losing the other three.
The Urban Warriors are still without a head coach following the departure of Mushin Ertugral on January 23, with interim boss Ian Taylor in charge of his fourth game on Saturday.
Ajax have only managed a disappointing six points from their eight games on the road this season, last winning away from home against SuperSport United at the end of November last year.
The Cape side will be without the services of on-loan midfielder Thamsanqa Sangweni, who is ineligible to play against his parent club, Sundowns.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- The pair have met once already this season, with the game at Cape Town Stadium ending in a thrilling 2-2 draw in September last year.
- The Brazilians have scored the most goals in the PSL, with 29, while Ajax have scored 13 goals fewer.
- Sundowns are looking for a third win in a row, a statistic they have only managed once so far this season, beating Free State Stars, AmaTuks and Moroka Swallows over the November/December period.
- Ajax come up against former player Khama Billiat, who signed for Sundowns at the beginning of the season, but is yet to score against his former employers.
- Both teams have played three games in the new year, but Ajax (17) have played a game more than Sundowns (16) overall.