Mamelodi Sundowns will entertain the struggling Urban Warriors in Tuesday’s PSL clash at the Loftus StadiumMamelodi Sundowns will play host to Ajax Cape Town in Tshwane tonight, as both teams will be hoping to end their winless streak that has stretched to four and seven matches respectively.
The two teams have had a disastrous start to the season and are still going through a rough patch with less than 10 league games remaining. Ajax are fighting for their survival at the bottom of the PSL table while Sundowns are still struggling to secure a top eight spot.
Ajax coach Jan Versleijen would certainly consider his stay at Ikamva fruitless, because he hasn’t tasted a win in the PSL since taking over from Jan Pruijn late last year.
On the other hand, Pitso Mosimane wouldn’t be questioning his contribution to Sundowns, because he managed to move the Brazilians up the ladder to where they are at the moment, but he would feel undone with their last four league results.
However, there were signs of improvement to the Sundowns’ attacking play in their previous encounter against Platinum Stars, and they created a lot of opportunities that should have given them all three points.
No doubt Ajax has got fantastic attacking players in Mabhuti Khenyeza and Khama Billiat who will both be charged with the responsibility of scoring goals tonight, but Sundowns will have Ramahlwe Mphahlele and Method Mwanjali to ensure that they keep a clean sheet.
However, the situation could get worse for the Brazilians who will be without their influential centre-back Alje Schut, after he was red carded against Platinum Stars.
Sundowns are now 11th on the log with 24 points after 22 games while the Urban Warriors currently occupy the 15th spot with 19 points from 21 games played.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Sundowns have scored the lowest number of goals in the league this season (17) together with Chippa United.
- Ajax Cape Town are still searching for their first win since December 7.
- In head-to-head stats, Sundowns and Ajax have met 17 times since 2004 with Downs winning six games and Ajax winning six, five games were drawn and both teams lost on six occasions against each other.
- Sundowns have lost only once to Ajax Cape Town in their last six meetings.
- Both Sundowns and Ajax played to a 0-0 draw in the first leg.