thumbnail Hello,

8 Cup

  • 10 August 2013
  • • 20:15
  • • FNB Stadium (Soccer City), Johannesburg, GA
  • Referee: V. Hlungwani
  • • Attendance: 14000

Kaizer Chiefs 3-0 University of Pretoria: AmaTuks feel Chiefs’ wrath in Cup

Kaizer Chiefs 3-0 University of Pretoria: AmaTuks feel Chiefs’ wrath in Cup


Chiefs recorded their first ever win over AmaTuks with three unanswered goals to book their place in the semi-finals of the MTN8

AmaTuks started like a house on fire, as they won their first corner of the game inside the opening two minutes, but they failed to punish Chiefs from the resultant corner.

The home side came to the party and won a free-kick on the right hand side in the 4th minute, but Siphiwe Tshabalala’s free-kick was cleared easily by the Tuks defence.

AmaKhosi took the lead in the 5th minute through Tefu Mashamaite’s thumping shot from inside the AmaTuks box after Bernard Parker’s header was cleared off the line.

George Lebese should have done better in the 9th minute after finding himself with only Arubi to beat, but his right-footed shot was too close to the Tuks keeper.

Chiefs continued to pile pressure on their opponents and dominated possession from the AmaTuks half as they looked to finish them off in the first half.

Eric Mathoho spotted Arubi off his line in the 15th minute and the Chiefs defender unleashed from distance, but he narrowly missed the target. At this stage, Khune was having a quiet game as AmaTuks were given no space to launch their attack.

 AmaTuks then started their build-ups from the back, but they struggled to get past the Chiefs defence marshalled by two lanky centre-backs, Mashamaite and Mathoho.  

 The game lost their tempo towards the half-hour mark, as Chiefs fans were frustrated with AmaTuks covering their tracks well at the back.

The visitors won a free-kick in the 32nd minute, but Ayanda Lubelo’s free-kick was cleared by Mashamaite as Chiefs continued to look in control.

Knowledge Musona came close in the 42nd minute after getting some space to shoot from distance, his shot hit the wrong side of the net with Arubi in no man’s land.

Both teams were then cautious in the final minutes of the first half, as Chiefs held on to their lead going into the second half.

Chiefs continued where they left off in the first half, but AmaTuks put up a better performance in the opening minutes of the second half.

AmaKhosi defence were at times beaten for pace by Thabo Mosadi who whipped in a low cross in the 58th minute, but his cross was too far from Lubelo’s reach.

On 63minutes, the home side deservedly doubled their lead through Eric Mathoho’s header who rose above the AmaTuks defence to beat Arubi from Tshabalala’s corner.

Siphiwe Tshabalala made it 3-0 in the 70th minute after some poor defending from AmaTuks defence allowed him to enter into their penalty area and convert with a sublime finish.

With 10 minutes to go, Chiefs were in total control of the game as it was clear that they have booked their place in the semi-finals.

Tshabalala was again a thorn in AmaTuks defence with his skilful play from the midfield to the final third, and he nearly grabbed his second of the night in the 84th minute, but Arubi was equal to the task as he parried to safety.

Lucky Mathosi created space for himself inside the Chiefs box, but he quickly closed down as it looked more on more difficult for AmaTuks to come back.

Substitute Mandla Masango nearly opened his account in the 89th minute after some enterprising football between him and Tshabalala, but his low shot hit the outside of the upright for a goal-kick.

Chiefs defence ensured the score remained 3-0 after 90 minutes as they kept possession until the final whistle and booked their place in the semi-finals of the MTN 8.