thumbnail Hello,


  • 25 May 2013
  • • 15:00
  • • Moses Mabhida Stadium, Durban
  • Referee: Z. Mthetho
  • • Attendance: 50000

Kaizer Chiefs 1-0 SuperSport United: Parker strike wraps up AmaKhosi double

Kaizer Chiefs 1-0 SuperSport United: Parker strike wraps up AmaKhosi double

Getty Images

AmaKhosi were crowned champions for the second time in a week following their 1-0 win over SuperSport United in the Nedbank Cup final at the Moses Mabhida Stadium on Saturday

With both SuperSport United and Kaizer Chiefs already guaranteed continental football next season, the Tshwane side wanted to defend their Nedbank Cup title while AmaKhosi wanted to complete a double.

Matsatsantsa attacked AmaKhosi earlier on and it was Sibusiso Zuma who troubled Tsepo Masilela on the left hand side before whipping in a cross that was blocked by Erick Mathoho, only for the referee to award a goal-kick for Chiefs in what was supposed to be a corner.

Chiefs had a chance to take the lead immediately after the 10th minute from a free-kick, but Siphiwe Tshabalala’s free-kick was cleared by Bevan Fransman.

The PSL champions tried to catch their opponents with transition play, but United stood firm and easily dispossessed their attacks.

United were often not so accurate with their passes in the final third, but they equally kept Chiefs at bay for the majority of the first half. Zuma was the only United player to give the Chiefs defence something to worry about, but he lacked support from his teammates.

Both Itumeleng Khune and Ronwen Williams had seen little action in the first half, as they were not really tested.

SuperSport United had the best chance of the game in the 39th minute when George Maluleka dribbled past three Chiefs defenders to put himself in a great position to score, but the former Ajax Cape Town midfielder blasted his shot way over the bar with only Khune to beat.

Chiefs launched two attacks in the last five minutes of the first half, but their final pass was always too heavy for the isolated Lehlohonolo Majoro, as both Chiefs and United could not break the deadlock in the first 45 minutes.

AmaKhosi were much better in the second half, and applied the pressure early. Reneilwe Letsholonyane and Tshabalala were instrumental in Chiefs’ attack, but they couldn’t trouble Williams.

Erasmus should have done better in the 56th minute when he penetrated the Chiefs defence into the penalty area, but his finishing was poor as his shot went wide of Khune’s goal.

On 65 minute, Bernard Parker capitalized on Edwin Gyimah’s mistake at the back and he combined well with George Lebese, only for Williams to produce a brilliant save from Parker’s well taken shot.

United won a free-kick in the 78th minute, but Khune collected easily as the game looked to be heading to extra time.

Chiefs nearly opened the scoring in the 88th minute when Siyabonga Nkosi’s well taken corner was horribly missed by Williams, but United cleared off the line and Willard Katsande’s shot was blocked.

SuperSport United should have won it in the end, when Mogogi Gabonamong broke down the right hand side and played a cross into the penalty area, but nobody was there to finish off the good work done by the Botswana international as both teams were forced to play for another 30 minutes.

The AmaKhosi fans did not have to wait long for the opener, as Siphiwe Tshabalala picked Bernard Parker just outside the United box and the Chiefs top goalscorer beat Williams four minutes into extra time to make it 1-0.

SuperSport United started pushing forward, and substitute Bradley Grobler added some much needed energy upfront, as AmaKhosi looked to hold onto their lead.

Grobler made a good run down the right and he did well to keep possession before crossing the ball to Ashley Hartog who couldn’t connect with the ball, as Chiefs took their lead into the second half of the extra time.

United started the second half with 10 men after Zuma had suffered an injury in the dying minutes of the first half of extra time.

Baxter added more power upfront as he sacrificed Majoro for Sthembiso Ngcobo and the KZN-born striker made immediate impact, but his first shot at goal went wide.

United nearly grabbed the equalizer a few minutes later, after some desperate defending at the back, but they eventually cleared.

Tshabalala should have played the ball to Ngcobo with only three minutes remaining, but the dreadlocked midfielder opted to go for glory and his shot was well blocked by Gyimah for a corner.

United won a free-kick on stoppage time, and Williams took the responsibility and nearly beat Khune who dived to his left for a great save, as AmaKhosi were crowned the 2012/2013 Nedbank Cup champions.