Matsatsantsa will lock horns with the newly crowned PSL champions Kaizer Chiefs in the final of the Nedbank Cup at the Moses Mabhida Stadium on Saturday afternoon
United will go into Saturday’s clash as the defending champions after beating neighbours Mamelodi Sundowns in last season’s final.
AmaKhosi will however, want to complete a perfect season with another trophy having tasted the league title last weekend, but they know that they have a mountain to climb.
The two sides have met in the finals of different cup competitions before and although Chiefs have always had greater number of supporters in the grand stand, it is SuperSport United that has proven too difficult to beat.
Chiefs will be boosted by the return of coach Stuart Baxter who served his two-match ban in their last two games that they failed to win and the Englishman will want AmaKhosi to return to winning ways.
Gavin Hunt will on the other hand, want to leave his footprints as his future at United has been making headlines this week and winning the Nedbank Cup for the second successive season will make him the only PSL coach to have achieved that.
AmaKhosi will be without their hard running striker Kingston Nkhatha due to suspension, but Lehlohonolo Majoro is expected to fill the void.
Majoro has scored three times against SuperSport United this season and Baxter will have no reason to overlook the former AmaZulu marksman.
Matsatsantsa will put their faith on Kermit Erasmus who also tormented the Kaizer Chiefs defence especially in the first half of the PSL season. Erasmus is expected to partner Sibusiso Zuma who broke Chiefs’ hearts with a last minute equalizer last week Wednesday.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
· Kaizer Chiefs and SuperSport United last met in the SAA Super 8 final during the 2006/2007 season
· Rowen Fernandes is the only SuperSport United player to have played for Kaizer Chiefs against his current employers in the final.
· In head-to-head stats, Chiefs and United have met three times in the finals since 2004/05 season. Chiefs won two finals and United won only one.
· SuperSport United are the defending champions after beating Sundowns in the final last year.
· Chiefs beat United FC in the semifinals of this year’s Nedbank Cup while United beat Platinum Stars to advance to the final.