thumbnail Hello,


  • 27 November 2013
  • • 19:30
  • • FNB Stadium (Soccer City), Johannesburg, GA
  • Referee: P. Tinyani
  • • Attendance: 2000

Kaizer Chiefs 4-1 Polokwane City: AmaKhosi breathe new life into PSL title defence

Kaizer Chiefs 4-1 Polokwane City: AmaKhosi breathe new life into PSL title defence

Ignat Manjoo

Chiefs looked back to their best during a weather-affected 4-1 thrashing of Polokwane City at the FNB Stadium

Kaizer Chiefs stormed past Polokwane City amid lighting strikes and driving rain to secure an impressive win and get their PSL title defence back on track. 

Chiefs did not let the weather dampen their spirits and put together a near-flawless performance to thump the visitors 4-1. Eric Mathoho scored the opener with a clinical finish with merely five minutes on the clock, before the raging storm intervened, causing a lengthy delay.

After the resumption, Kingston Nkhatha scored his third goal of the season to make it 2-0, while two sublime goals either side of halftime from Bernard Parker put Chiefs 4-0 ahead. 

A red card for Josta Dladla spoiled what could have been a perfect result for the hosts, with Tlolane scoring City's first goal of the match with four minutes left in the match. It was too little too late for the visitors, with the match ending 4-1.

AmaKhosi got off to the perfect start, when Eric Mathoho received possession inside the box in the 5th minute, turned with ease and unleashed a powerful shot which almost burst through the back of the net.

Chiefs continued to look in confident on the ball after opening the scoring, but it was the visitors who created the next chance, when Kopani slammed a free kick on target in the 9th minute.

As a thunderstorm rolled over the stadium, play continued with City pushing for an equaliser. The referee’s decision to keep the players on the pitch did not last long, with both sides sent to the changerooms due to the dangerous lightning.

Following a lengthy 45 minute delay, officials decided to allow the players to finish the match as conditions had dramatically improved.

City looked sharper after the resumption, which saw Moyana almost catch Chiefs unawares with a powerful long-range strike, but his effort went narrowly wide past the left post.

Chiefs responded quickly and almost doubled their lead in the 23rd minute, when Kingston Nkhatha was released free on goal and tried to blast an effort past Marumo, but the keeper did well to block the shot and keep his side in the match.

With 24 minutes on the clock, Nkhatha did not hesitate to score with his second chance of the match, as he capitalized on some clumsy defending and placed a shot past Marumo to seal his third league goal of the season.

Nzimande could have put City on the board minutes later, as he burst down the left flank and tried a deft chip over Khune, but the keeper’s vital touch to the ball steered it wide and out for a corner-kick.

Marumo’s busy night continued as Ritchie and Nkhatha tested the 37-year-old, but the keeper was up to the task on both occasions.

However, Bernard Parker’s 32nd minute unstoppable header from outside the box could not be saved by Marumo and Chiefs raced into the 3-0 lead.

AmaKhosi could not add to their impressive tally before half-time, but would have felt satisfied with their resounding lead going into the break.

Itumeleng Khune was not present for the second half, with Stuart Baxter looking to rest his star keeper, with Chiefs preparing for a heavy schedule.

Kingston Nkhatha’s night was also cut short, with Lehlonoholo Majoro replacing the injured goal-scorer in the 53rd minute.

Chiefs’ brilliance in front of goal did not abate and the hosts added a fourth, with Parker’s impeccable left-footed strike in the 60th minute beating a hopeless dive from Marumo to find the back of the net.

Majoro should have added a fifth with ten minutes to go, when the striker had the opportunity to hit the target from close range, but he sent his shot into the heavens. 

A second yellow card for Josta Dladla tainted a near-perfect performance from Chiefs, with the player being given his marching orders after verbally abusing the referee.

The advantage allowed for City to pounce, with Tlolane adding some respectability to the scoreline by netting from close range.