thumbnail Hello,


  • 21 September 2013
  • • 20:15
  • • FNB Stadium (Soccer City), Johannesburg, GA
  • Referee: C. Gomez
  • • Attendance: 15900

Kaizer Chiefs 2-1 Platinum Stars: Musona scores again in another Chiefs win

Kaizer Chiefs 2-1 Platinum Stars: Musona scores again in another Chiefs win


Knowledge Musona came off the bench to hand Chiefs a 2-1 win over Platinum Stars at the FNB Stadium on Saturday night

Kaizer Chiefs launched their first attack in the opening few seconds of the game when Josta Dladla broke down the right hand side to send his cross into the Platinum Stars box, but it was too close to the Stars goalkeeper Siyabonga Mpotshane.

Lehlohonolo Majoro did well to dribble past two defenders in the box, but his low cross was cleared away from danger by the Stars defence.

The visitors did threaten Chiefs on several occasions although their best chance came in the 11th minute when Mogakolodi Ngele beat Eric Mathoho, but his left-footed shot went wide of Itumeleng Khune’s goal.

Majoro wasted two glorious chances to put Chiefs in front in the 17th minute, as Dikwena looked very much disorganized at the back.

Chiefs deservedly took the lead in the 21st minute through Bernard Parker who volleyed his shot past Mpotshane from Siyabonga Nkosi’s pass.

Mduduzi Nyanda tried to catch Khune with a curler towards the half-hour mark, but he could not keep his effort on target.

Nkosi failed to put the ball in the back of the empty net after an error from Mpotshane allowed Majoro to play the ball back into the Stars box, but Nkosi missed the target with his shot.

Sarr Issa tested Khune with a tame shot in the 42nd minute, but the Chiefs shot-stopper made a fine save.

Mathoho found himself in a promising position in the 44th minute, but he blasted his shot well over the bar when he should have at least picked the spot.

Parker ballooned his shot over the bar on the stroke of halftime, and Chiefs paid the price when Tintswalo Tshabalala grabbed the equalizer for the Rustenburg-based side, as the scoreline read 1-1 at halftime.

Both Chiefs and Stars started the second half well and created those chances to try and kill the game, but the defence of the two teams stood firm.

AmaKhosi won a free-kick just outside the box in the 53rd minute after Georger Lebese was brought down, and Parker stepped up to take the free-kick though Stars defended it easily.

Nyanda whipped in a beautiful cross in the 61st minute, but the cross was too strong for Tshabalala, before Robert Ng’ambi’s shot missed the target with Khune clearly beaten.

Parker tried from an awkward angle in the 68th minute, but his shot was deflected for a corner which resulted in Chiefs’ second goal of the night from Knowledge Musona’s header.

Dikwena replied immediately from Vuyo Mere’s free-kick, but the Stars captain was unlucky as his well taken free-kick came off the bar and Stars players could not capitalize.

 Chiefs were the better team with 10 minutes remaining although Stars were working hard to get the equalizer as they introduced three players.

Siphiwe Tshabalala should have put the game to bed in the 83rd minute after being picked by Musona in the six yard, but the Chiefs midfielder missed with Mpotshane in no man’s land.

The home side continued to dominate and create those goalscoring chances in the dying minutes of the game and Musona should have at least hit the target with his casual shot in the 87th minute.

Chiefs then held on to their lead to claim three important points against the team that collected four points against them last season.