thumbnail Hello,


  • 28 April 2013
  • • 15:00
  • • FNB Stadium (Soccer City), Johannesburg, GA
  • Referee: L. Mfiki
  • • Attendance: 35000

Kaizer Chiefs 0-0 Platinum Stars: AmaKhosi maintain their six-point lead with a draw

Kaizer Chiefs 0-0 Platinum Stars: AmaKhosi maintain their six-point lead with a draw

Getty Images

AmaKhosi squandered the opportunity of stretching their lead at the top of the PSL log after 0-0 draw against Dikwena at the Peter Mokaba Stadium on Sunday afternoon

Both Kaizer Chiefs and Platinum Stars struggled with tempo in the opening five minutes of the game, but it was AmaKhosi who started knocking the ball around and looked dangerous in the final third.

Chiefs then won a free-kick on the edge of the box after Siphiwe Tshabalala was brought down, but the AmaKhosi stand-in captain couldn’t keep his effort down from the resultant free-kick.

The hosts were all over their opponents and Tefu Mashamaite’s shot from outside the box was easily saved by the Stars’ keeper Siyabonga Mpontshane.

Bernard Parker combined well with Kingston Nkhatha in the 13th minute and the Bafana striker should have played the ball back to Nkhatha for Chiefs’ opener, but he opted to take a shot from an awkward angle which didn’t even trouble Mpontshane.

Dikwena nearly took the lead in the 19th minute, but Henrico Botes’ cleverly taken shot hit the upright with Brilliant Khuzwayo well beaten.

The home side kept knocking on the Platinum Stars door and were nearly rewarded with an opener in the 31st minute through Tshabalala, after some great display from Siyabonga Nkosi and Parker, but Mpontshane rushed off his line to allow the Chiefs captain no space.

Nkhatha should have done better on 35 minutes after been played through by Parker, but the Zimbabwean striker failed to hit the target with only Mpontshane to beat.

The visitors nearly broke the deadlock just before the halftime after some desperate defending from AmaKhosi, but Benson Mhlongo was denied by the crossbar, as the score remained 0-0 after 45 minutes.

Dikwena looked to put Chiefs under pressure earlier in the second half and won a free-kick inside the first two minutes, but Khuzwayo did brilliantly to parry Mhlongo’s headed effort to safety.

Chiefs didn’t create any goalscoring chance until the 66th minute when Tshabalala’s free-kick was dismally missed by Erick Mathoho.

The home side put their opponents under pressure with back-to-back set pieces in the 77th minute, but AmaKhosi didn’t capitalize on their chances as Dikwena continued to frustrate the log leaders.

Dikwena never really tested Khuzwayo on the other end and Chiefs took advantage of that by pushing Sboniso Gaxa and Tsepo Masilela forward.

Substitute Matthew Rusike found himself in the box after a well played cross from Tshabalala on the right, but Mpontshane did well to block the Zimbabwean’s effort and kept his team in the game.

Dikwena nearly stole it towards the end of the game when Ngambi was played by Botes just outside the box, but the Malawian’s volley went inches wide, as the game ended in a disappointing 0-0 draw.