Amakhosi will welcome Maritzburg United at the Peter Mokaba Stadium on Wednesday nightKaizer Chiefs will play the first of their remaining home games in Polokwane against the in-form Maritzburg United.
The Team of Choice has enjoyed a fascinating run in recent weeks by collecting six points out of a possible nine in their last three games and will be eager to be the first team to beat Chiefs at home this season.
The Soweto giants have also enjoyed their 11-game unbeaten run since their loss to Platinum Stars back in November, and they wouldn't want to lose the respect that they've gained so far this season.
Amakhosi will also not want to let the league title slip away from them, as they are within touching distance of clinching their first title in eight years. Hence, they understand the importance of winning their home games.
Coach Stuart Baxter is expected to field the same players that did duty against Bloem Celtic over the weekend, with the Chiefs coach keeping faith with his three centre-backs in Eric Mathoho, Morgan Gould and Tefu Mashamaite.
Ernst Middendorp understands very well that he needs to be cautious against the unstoppable Chiefs side that has outscored all the PSL teams this season. However, a change of tactics could also work for the German-born coach, as he is expected to start with Terrence Mandaza upfront.
The Zimbabwean international came off the bench to give United a lead in their previous game against Chippa United, and many will see that as a sign that Midderndorp had his sights set on the Chiefs’ game.
Despite boasting what is arguably the best strike force in the PSL, it will be interesting to see how their midfield will cope against the experience of Delron Buckley and Dillon Sheppard who has been a revelation for United since joining from Golden Arrows at the beginning of the year.
However, the combination of Willard Katsande and Reneilwe Letsholonyane has been difficult to crack and Middendorp’s troops should be ready for a tough challenge.
Chiefs are on top of the PSL log with 50 points from 23 games, while Maritzburg United find themselves 19 points behind Chiefs in position seven.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Kaizer Chiefs have kept 11 clean sheets so far this season, and have gone 11 games without a loss.
- Of their last five league games, Maritzburg United have won only two and lost three.
- In head-to-head stats, Chiefs and United have met 11 times since 2006, Amakhosi picking up five wins and United winning only three while three games were drawn.
- Chiefs’ Bernard Parker, Lehlohonolo Majoro and Kingston Nkhatha have scored 25 goals between them which is more than the goals scored by Maritzburg United (23).
- Both teams failed to score in their first meeting earlier this season, as the match ended in 0-0 draw.