thumbnail Hello,


  • 26 March 2014
  • • 19:30
  • • FNB Stadium (Soccer City), Johannesburg, GA
  • Referee: V. Hlungwani
  • • Attendance: 2500

Mandla Masango

Kaizer Chiefs 2-1 FC Buffalo: AmaKhosi safely into Nedbank Cup quarters

Mandla Masango

Getty Images

Kaizer Chiefs put their disappointing Caf Champions League defeat to AS Vita at the weekend behind them with a 2-1 win over FC Buffalo in the second round of the Nedbank Cup

Chiefs suffered a heavy 3-0 defeat in the Democratic Republic of the Congo's capital Kinshasa, but eased the pain on Wednesday, courtesy of goals from Ivan Bukenya and Mandla Masango either side of half-time.

Amakhosi coach Stuart Baxter chose to rest a number of first choice players, opting instead to include a number of fringe players in need of game-time, while allowing some of Chiefs' regulars to take a well-deserved break from action.

A slow opening period saw little in the way of chances from either team, except for a header that went narrowly wide from Bukenya eight minutes in.

Katlego Mphela was next to have a go at goal, but his header also missed the mark when he probably should have done better after being allowed time and space in the area.

The hosts found their rhythm and began a sustained period of pressure on the Buffalo goal, with Mandla Masango and Erick Mathoho seeing their attempts cleared off the line.

But the home side were not to be denied again shortly after, and on the half-hour mark Bukenya headed home from a corner set-piece to hand Chiefs a well-deserved lead.

Chiefs looked comfortable after the opener but seemed to become complacent on the ball, as Buffalo started to push forward.

Chiefs' advantage was quickly nullified as disaster struck for the Soweto giants, Mtsweni steering a FC Buffalo cross into the back of his own net, handing the visitors a gift of an equaliser on the stroke of half-time.

Having gone into the break without their lead, Chiefs wasted little time in exploiting Buffalo at the set-piece as Mathoho sent his header onto the roof of the net a minute into the second stanza.

Nine minutes later, Chiefs' Siyabonga Nkosi watched as his thunderous effort drilled against the upright after taking a nasty deflection on the way, before Mathoho suffered the same fate, as the woodwork again came to Buffalo's rescue before the hour mark.

Chiefs were looking increasingly dangerous in the final third with shots and attempts coming at regular intervals, such as George Maluleka testing Buffalo goalkeeper Nonkululeko Mthimkhulu from distance.

The visitors from East London would eventually be broken down for a second time in the match as Masango sent the home side back into the lead with a diving header.

George Lebese made a darting run into the heart of the Buffalo defence, before delivering an accurate cross towards Masango, who was unmarked and perfectly placed to grab the lead with 20 minutes left to play.

Chiefs were made to sweat in the dying minutes of the game, with Mduduzi Mabaso stinging the upright from a well-taken volleyed effort just two minutes from time.