thumbnail Hello,


  • 09 November 2013
  • • 20:15
  • • FNB Stadium (Soccer City), Johannesburg, GA
  • Referee: L. Mfiki
  • • Attendance: 12000

Kaizer Chiefs fans (Getty Images)

Kaizer Chiefs 2-1 Bidvest Wits: Majoro winner seals three points for Chiefs

Kaizer Chiefs fans (Getty Images)

Ignat Manjoo

Majoro scored his first goal of the season as Chiefs rode their luck to secure a 2-1 win over Bidvest Wits at Soccer City

Kaizer Chiefs sealed a 2-1 win over Bidvest Wits at the FNB Stadium on Saturday night, with Lehlonoholo Majoro scoring the winner to settle a see-sawing PSL tie.

The home side failed to take numerous opportunities in the first half, but Kingston Nkhatha’s 48th minute opener put them in the driving- seat in front of  a paltry crowd at Soccer City.

However, Wits were able to turn their sustained pressure into an equaliser, with substitute Ryan Chapman firing a shot past Khune in the 66th minute. 

Majoro put Chiefs back in the lead in the dying embers of the second half, his header looping over Moeneeb Josephs.

Chiefs went on the attack early on, Tshabalala blasting a free kick wide with five minutes on the clock.

Both defences held firm as the first half took shape, but Chiefs had another opportunity to create an opportunity in the 13th minute, Moeneeb Josephs punching a Tshabalala delivery to safety.

Tshabalala was involved once again five minutes later, driving a swerving strike on target which Josephs parried into the path of Siyabonga Nkosi, who inexplicably hit a shot wide of the target with the goal at his mercy.

Wits’ counterattacking football worked wonders in the 23rd minute when Bhasera burst into space with a driving run and tried to place a shot past Khune, but the keeper was able to palm the ball out for a corner.

Chiefs scuppered another glorious opportunity, Kingston Nkhatha the culprit in the 28th minute, missing from point blank range after Tshabalala created the opportunity with a good run down the left flank and a pinpoint delivery into the path of Nkhatha.

Wits almost punished their hosts five minutes later, Jayiya turning narrowly wide of the target after Bhasera delivered a cross into the area.

Josephs kept out a low Nkosi drive on the brink of half time, with a superb low save to deny the winger in the 40th minute.

Wits had a strong shout for a penalty with 43 minutes on the clock, Morgan Gould bringing Benjani to the floor when contesting for the ball, but the referee waved the claims away.

The first half began with Chiefs in the ascendancy, Nkhatha atoning for his horror miss in the first half by placing a header past Josephs, after Parker found the striker with a sublime  delivery.

Nkatha almost sealed a double minutes later, after being released down the left wing and trying to beat Josephs from an acute angle, but the keeper was up to the task with a strong save.  

Morgan Gould was lucky to escape a straight red card with 30 minutes left in the match, striking substitute Gibeto in the face with his fist, with something akin to a knockout blow in a boxing match.

Wits struck back with 66 minutes on the clock, Ryan Chapman finishing with composure from inside the area to restore parity to the score-line.

Chiefs looked blunted in their attempts to score a winner, as the home side were unable to recover after conceding the equaliser.

Stuart Baxter threw on Lebese and Majoro in a last throw of the dice, which worked for the Chiefs coach as the two combined to create the winning goal.

Lebese's curling cross found Majoro and the striker's header looped over Josephs and snuck into the net via the crossbar and the hand of the keeper. 

Wits failed to fight back once more, Chiefs sealing a vital three points at home in their defence of the PSL title.