thumbnail Hello,


  • 06 April 2013
  • • 15:00
  • • Moses Mabhida Stadium, Durban
  • Referee: L. Mfiki
  • • Attendance: 25000

Golden Arrows 0-0 Kaizer Chiefs: 10-man Chiefs hang on to draw in Durban

Golden Arrows 0-0 Kaizer Chiefs: 10-man Chiefs hang on to draw in Durban


A controversial red card for Reneilwe Letsholonyane meant the league leaders had to show their fighitng qualities in order to stave off defeat in Durban

Kaizer Chiefs played to a dramatic 0-0 draw against Golden Arrows at the Moses Mabhida Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

A controversial red card for Reneilwe Letsholonyane marred proceedings and led to a fan storming onto the pitch in an attempt to harm the referee.

Arrows could not utilise their advantage as the match ended 0-0, maintaining Chiefs’ lead over Platinum Stars and Orlando Pirates.  

Chiefs had a chance to go 10 points ahead of Orlando Pirates in the PSL standings, which would effectively put one hand on the trophy for the AmaKhosi.

The hosts started confidently with Nene sending a powerful free-kick towards goal, which whistled past the left post in the second minute of the match.

But Chiefs began to show their confidence and ability in the 8th minute of the match, as excellent build-up play saw Lehlonoholo Majoro bury the ball in the back of the net only to be called offside incorrectly by the assistant referee.

Minutes after Chiefs hit the back of the net Arrows almost broke the deadlock when Liphoko cut inside on the left flank and tried to curl the ball past Khune, but the keeper jumped acrobatically to save the attempt.

Seconds’ later controversy struck as the ball appeared to strike Mathoho on the arm, but the referee did not believe it was a hand ball offence to the horror of the majority of Arrows’ players and fans.

Arrows consistent pressure continued, as Chiefs struggled to gain possession of the ball. Thamsanqa Gabuza almost found the opener when he burst into the box with pace, only for a piece of sublime defending from Morgan Gould keeping the striker from firing home.

Majoro had another chance with 30 minutes on the clock, as he broke free behind Arrows’ defence and tried to place the ball past Gumede, but his strike was not timed as he skewed the ball wide past the far post.

Two minutes after the chance for Majoro, disaster struck for the league leaders when Reneilwe Letsholonyane was controversially sent off by the referee for a late challenge, sparking scenes of commotion in the stands and in the dugouts.

After around five minutes after the sending off a Kaizer Chiefs fan ran onto the pitch and tried to strike the referee with a vuvuzela, which was yet another display of hooliganism in the PSL.

 The incident meant five minutes were added on and the AmaKhosi’s disastrous outing continued as Morgan Gould was involved in a clash in the first minute of injury time which resulted in an injury for the star defender.  Golden Arrows could not punish 9-man Chiefs before half time as the referee blew the whistle for the break.

Chiefs started the second stanza with an early chance when Tefu Mashaimaite almost found the back of the net with a header, but the towering defender could not place his attempt on target.

The AmaKhosi showed their fighting spirit by dominating proceedings, despite being disadvantaged by the loss of Letsholonyane. Stuart Baxter’s tactical acumen was on display as his side continued to trouble Arrows as the match entered its final half an hour.

But it was Arrows who almost snatched the three points in the 74th minute when Liphoko found himself in space down the left flank and attempted to hit the back of the net, but his strike flashed across the face of goal.

Majoro broke free four minutes later but could not execute a chip over the onrushing Gumede, as his attempt flew over the net for a goal-kick.

It was Chiefs best chance to open the scoring as the match ended 0-0 with the league leaders still maintaining a hefty lead over Orlando Pirates and Platinum Stars.