thumbnail Hello,


  • 30 March 2013
  • • 15:30
  • • Princess Magogo Stadium, Durban
  • Referee: B. Gqubule
  • • Attendance: 2000

Arrows 1-2 Wits- Students teach Arrows that it is not over until the fat lady sings

Arrows 1-2 Wits- Students teach Arrows that it is not over until the fat lady sings

The students were well disciplined as they taught Golden Arrows a lesson, as they came back to steal a 2-1 victory in the dying minutes of the match

Wits goals came courtesy of KwaZulu-Natal born player Sibonelo Gumede during the first half, as the winning goal came from Papy Faty in the second half.

If there is one student that caused trouble for the home team then it was Asive Langwe who was composed and created over seven scoring opportunities in this match.   

Players like Matthew Pattison and Sibonelo Gumede raised the momentum of the game, first striving to get Arrows that all-important early goal.

In the initial nine minutes Bongi Ntuli and Sibusiso Hadebe knocked at the Wits backyard but were denied access by defender Thomas Sweswe. Few minutes after that, both the players (Ntuli and Hadebe) continued pressing hard with Hadebe setting a cross to Ntuli who chested it well and took a shot that was well saved by Wits goalkeeper Thabelo Mabokgwane.  

Musa Bilankulu also came into the attack to put the pressure on, but his first opportunity came from a cross, and he sent it wide.

In the 25th minute Wits came close to scoring when Asive Langwe played a beautiful cross that met Ryan Chapman in the box, who headed well,  but it was Arrows goalkeeper Nkosingphile Gumede who denied the visitors the goal as he displayed a great save, tipping the ball over. The 19-year-old Gumede was well in position during the first half and he showed a lot of character in commanding his defence to be more organised at the back.

Langwe continued putting pressure from the wings. The youngster has been tipped as a future Bafana player, and plays comfortably on both the left and right wings. In this match he continued supplying his team with excellent crosses.  

In the45th minute Langwe dished a great ball to Vilakazi who wasted the opportunity by shooting wide. In less than five minutes into the start of the second half, Langwe continued where he had left off. This time his effort was awarded when Gumede chipped a ball to beat Arrows goalkeeper outside the box, which saw Wits recording their first goal.

Bilankulu took the initiative all to himself as he attacked, but his shot found the side net. After that Arrows came together as a team assisting each other to attack.

Coach Manqoba Mngqithi made his first change by bringing in Tshepo Liphoko for Philani Shange to try and make things better for his side. Chapman also came back to try his luck again but it was Gumede who denied him his second goal of this match as he blocked his shot in a one on one situation.

In the 62nd minutes Langwe continued to cause trouble down the wing. In the 82nd minute Arrows continued to fight hard and their effort was awarded when substitute Lucky Nguzane took a powerful strike with his left foot outside the box which saw the home side equalizing. This was Nguzana’s first goal in Golden Arrows colours and that goal spurred them forward.

In the 87th minute, Wits Papy Faty came out of the blue to beat Gumede in the box as he put his team into what seemed an unlikely 2-1 victory.