The host will hope to create a favourable situation for the return leg in mid-October as they look forward to a fifth continental title in South Africa
Inkoom, Vorsah, Boye, Afful
Badu, Boateng, Ayew, Asamoah,
J. Ayew, Gyan
Sangala, Chavula, Mzava, Nyirenda
Kamwendo, Ng’ambi, Banda, Wadabwa
The southern Africans will be looking for a favourable result to take back to Malawi as they are seen as underdogs. The Black Stars will hope to create a positive situation for the return leg in mid-October.
The four-time African champions welcome the Ayew brothers to their squad as well as hand a debut call-up to Isaac Coffie, while Solomon Asante’s nationality issues have finally been cleared, paving way for him to join the squad.
Veteran attackers Russell Mwafulirwa and Esau Kanyenda failed to make the squad while star man Chiukepo Msowoya reportedly cancelled the trip in order to make way for a trial in South Africa with injury ruling out captain Peter ‘Mjojo’ Mponda.
The winner of the tie will be heading to the first Afcon tournament in the new odd year system, which will be staged in South Africa.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Ghana have appeared at the African Cup of Nations 18 times and have won the tournament on four occasions.
- The Black Stars have also hosted the tournament four times in 1963, 1978, 2000 and 2008, winning it on the first two occasions, but only managing quarter-final and semi-final berths in the subsequent tournaments respectively.
- Star striker Asamoah Gyan along with Anthony Annan are the most capped players in the squad for the game on 59 caps while the Al Ain front man has the most goals, with 28.
- Malawi have been to the tournament twice but are yet to make it past the first hurdle with group stage exits in 1984 and 2010.
- Malawi and Ghana have met on four previous occasions with the Ghanaians winning on three of those and a draw in the other, which is the most recent and was played in the buildup to the Nations Cup in 2010.
- Malawi have never scored against the Ghanaians in four games despite conceding 14 times in those games with 12 of those goals coming in the very first meeting between the sides in a friendly in 1962.
- The teams have met at the tournament once in 1984 in the group stages with the Ghanaians winning by a lone goal.