thumbnail Hello,


  • 20 August 2014
  • • 18:00
  • • Charles Mopeli Stadium, Phuthaditjhaba, FS
  • Referee: P. Tinyani
  • • Attendance: 500

Bradley Grobler of SuperSport United

Free State Stars 3-2 SuperSport United: Ea Lla Koto register first league victory

Bradley Grobler of SuperSport United


Free State Stars came back from behind to register their first win of the season, after defeating SuperSport United 3-2 in an Absa Premiership clash at the Charles Mopeli Stadiu...

The visitors SuperSport had a bright start to the first half, making their intentions known as early as the firth minute.

New Matsatsantsa midfielder Dove Wome was fouled by Stars defender Sizwe Mkhwanazi in just outside the Ea Lla Koto box. Togolese international Wome sent the resultant free-kick straight at Stars keeper Ayanda Mtshali.

Stars' first chance of the match fell for striker Moeketsi Sekola in the 17th minute, and the bulky forward rifled his effort over SuperSport keeper Ronwen Williams' cross bar.

SuperSport broke the deadlock in the 22nd minute when midfielder Bennett Chenene played a wonderful ball to his teammate Thuso Phala, who made no mistake from close range to give United the lead.

Matsatsantsa doubled their lead just five minutes later. Defender Sibusiso Khumalo floated in a pin point cross in the Stars box for winger Phala, who then set up his teammate Wome who blasted the ball home to make it 2-0 to the visitors.

Stars should have pulled one back six minutes before the half-time whistle, after SuperSport defender Thato Mokeke made a mistake. But Ea Lla Koto striker Richard Henyekane failed to hit the target.

The first half ended a2-0 in favour of SuperSport who had failed to bury their countless goalscoring opportunities against a hapless Free State side.

Ea Lla Koto began the second stanza brightly creating two decent good chances in the 49th minute and the 52nd minute.

Striker Sekola ballooned his effort over the bar, then three minutes later his teammate Henyekane watched in disbelief as Bafana Bafana shot-stopper Williams denied him with a brilliant acrobatic save.

The home side finally scored in the 68th minute when a low cut cross played in by midfielder Katlego Mashego was well saved by Matsatsantsa keeper Williams, but his teammate Thabo Moloi could not avoid the ball and he struck it home to make it 2-1.

SuperSport nearly stretched their lead in the 77th minute, when midfielder Innocent Mkhabela's curling effort went inches wide of Stars keeper Mtshali's goal post.

The next chance fell for Stars, and Ivory Coast-born defender Robert Sankara who made no mistake with a low finish to make it 2-2 with five minutes left on the clock.

New Stars striker Rudolf Bester concluded Ea Lla Koto's comeback, netting in referee's optional time, to hand Free State Stars maximum points.