thumbnail Hello,


  • 09 August 2014
  • • 15:00
  • • Charles Mopeli Stadium, Phuthaditjhaba, FS
  • • Attendance: 10000

Lebese opened his Chiefs account for the season against Free State Stars

Free State Stars 0-1 Kaizer Chiefs: Lebese fires AmaKhosi to victory

Lebese opened his Chiefs account for the season against Free State Stars


A George Lebese second half goal was enough to give AmaKhosi three vital points against Free State Stars at the Charles Mopeli Stadium on Saturday afternoon

Kaizer Chiefs came into this league encounter against Free State Stars looking to build from their last weekend's victory over Black Aces, and made no changes to the team that booked them a place in the semifinals of the MTN 8.

The visitors dominated possession in the early stages of the game and they came close to breaking the deadlock inside the first five minutes from a free-kick situation, but Mandla Masango's effort sailed over the bar.

Ea Lla Koto sat back and relied mostly on Richard Henyekane's pace upfront, and they nearly caught AmaKhosi napping in the 16th minute when Thabo Moloi was played through the middle before Itumeleng Khune came off his line to clear the danger outside the box.

The clearance fell kindly to Henyekane, who couldn't hit the target from distance with no one between the sticks although Erick Mathoho seemed to have the situation under control.

Masango had his deflected shot brilliantly tipped around the post by Daouda Diakite in the 30th minute, as Chiefs continued to exert more pressure on their Free State opponents.

George Maluleka also tested the Mali international goalkeeper with a long range shot, but the Ea Lla Koto shot-stopper made another fantastic save to keep his side in the game.

The home team then lost Diakite through what looked like a hamstring injury towards the end of the first half, and he was subsequently replaced by Ayanda Mtshali before halftime.

Mtshali was called into action immediately after the restart, and he denied Maluleka with a good save to keep the score line at 0-0 as Chiefs continued to push high up.

AmaKhosi's hard work finally paid off as George Lebese capitalised from some sloppy defending 10 minutes into the second half to give the Soweto giants a 1-0 lead.

Reuben Thebakang burst into the Chiefs' half a few minutes later, combining with Bokang Tlhone on the left hand side, but the former Platinum Stars left-back blasted his shot wide of Khune's goal.

Tefu Mashamiate then timed his run well to beat the offside trap after the hour-mark, but his header lacked power as Mtshali had an easy touch on it to concede a corner.

Mtshali came to the rescue with two fine saves in a short period of time midway through the second half, as the Qwaqwa-based outfit were left exposed at the back in the last 15 minutes of the game.

Both sides had chances to score in the closing minutes of the game, but it was AmaKhosi who held on to their lead to register their first three points of the season.