thumbnail Hello,


  • 15 September 2013
  • • 15:00
  • • Mbombela Stadium, Nelspruit
  • Referee: T. Ndzandzeka
  • • Attendance: 2000

MP Black Aces 1-1 SuperSport United: Mathebula rescues Matsatsantsa with late header

MP Black Aces 1-1 SuperSport United: Mathebula rescues Matsatsantsa with late header


AmaZayoni conceded late to draw against Matsatsantsa in a league encounter played at the Mbombela Stadium on Sunday afternoon

Mpumalanga Black Aces showed glimpses of improvement from their previous game, and they nearly punished SuperSport United as early as in the 8th minute when Rowen Fernandez failed to deal with Abia Nale’s corner.

The ball fell kindly onto Eduardo Ferreira’s head, but the former Sundowns man could not direct his header into the empty net.

SuperSport United had chances of their own towards the 15th minute, and they won a free-kick outside the Aces area when Bafana Nhlapo came a long way to bring Bennett Chenene down, but the visitors could not capitalize.

Nhlapo dived to his right to brilliantly deny Bradley Grobler who connected with Thuso Phala’s cross from the right hand side in the 29th minute.

Abia Nale should have given Aces the lead a few seconds later after beating the United defence for pace on the right hand side of the penalty area, but the former Arrows attacker fluffed his shot wide of Fernandez’s goal.

Mabhuti Khenyeza broke the deadlock with a volley on the stroke of halftime after being left unmarked in the box, and the former SuperSport United forward smashed past Fernandez.

The home side started the second half on a high and threatened to score the second goal, but Thabo Qalinge was booked for simulation inside the opening 10 minutes.

Replacing Chenene at the start of the second half, Sameegh Doutie was buzzing in the midfield immediately after his introduction, but he couldn’t help his team get the equalizer.

Grobler set up Phala before making his way for Mame Niang, but the former Platinum Stars midfielder’s poorly taken shot went wide of Nhlapo’s goal.

Mor Diouf got two chances just before the 75th minute, but the lanky defender could not hit the target as he sent both his shots high and wide.

David Mathebula levelled matters with a powerful header in the 79th minute after a flick from Niang found him unmarked in the box.

Khenyeza should have scored the winner in the 83rd minute, but the striker opted for power and his shot sailed wide of Fernandez’s goal.

Mathebula nearly grabbed his brace with a low shot deep in stoppage time, but he was denied by an upright with Nhlapo well beaten.

United won a free-kick in a promising area, but Mathebula’s shot sailed to over the bar as the referee blew his whistle to end the game.