thumbnail Hello,


  • 20 August 2014
  • • 19:30
  • • BidVest Stadium, Johannesburg, GA
  • Referee: D. Volgraaff
  • • Attendance: 4000

Wits' Sibusiso Vilakazi

Bidvest Wits 1-0 Maritzburg United: Ngcobo strike enough to see off tough Maritzburg test

Wits' Sibusiso Vilakazi

Getty Images

The Clever boys bagged their first home win of the season, courtesy of a first half goal from Sthembiso Ngcobo, to see off a resilient Maritzburg United in Johannesburg on Wedne...

Ngcobo scored to hand the Clever Boys the early lead, although they would have been disappointed that they hadn’t finished more of their chances, with opportunities coming in the bucket load.

The pair got off to a reserved start and had to wait until Ngcobo’s goal for the first real action. A mix up at the back between Shu-Aib Walters and his defence allowed Ngcobo to battle away for the ball in the area, without opposition.

Ngcobo bustled his way through and eventually got a toe in and squeezed him past Walters, who was left furious at the referee’s decision to let play continue when a foul looked imminent.

The Clever Boys were doing all the attacking, with Ngcobo the spearhead. The lively attacker forced Walters into a strong save shortly after the goal, when he spun on the ball and fired in a dangerous shot.

Walters, however, was aware and put in a good display, which made up for his mistake, which he was still not happy about.

Both teams were forced into early substitutions before the 40 minute mark. Philani Zulu replaced Deolin Mekoa, while Dillon Sheppard came on for Onismor Bhasera. United looked to be struggling and rarely had a go at Jackson Mabokgwane between the posts.

Ngcobo was in the thick of the action straight after the restart and came close to doubling his tally for the night after a superb cross from the left picked Ngcobo out, with the resulting header flying inches over the bar.

The attacker couldn’t get enough of the ball and headed an even better opportunity wide of the mark on 50 minutes.

The home side took their foot off the pedal somewhat after the hour mark as United looked to crawl their way back into the contest and had a penalty shout turned down in the 69th minute, but the foul looked harmless in reality.

In the end, Wits did enough to see out a tough win at a chilly Bidvest Stadium in Braamfontein.