thumbnail Hello,


  • 16 March 2014
  • • 15:30
  • • Kaizer Sebothelo Stadium, Botshabelo, FS
  • Referee: D. Bennett
  • • Attendance: 11000

Bloemfontein Celtic 1-1 SuperSport United: Mhango secures a point for Phunya Sele Sele

Bloemfontein Celtic 1-1 SuperSport United: Mhango secures a point for Phunya Sele Sele


Phunya Sele Sele shares the spoils with Matsatsantsa in a 1-1 draw at the Kaizer Sebothelo Stadium on Sunday afternoon

SuperSport got off to a blistering start when Mame Niang found the back of the net in the third minute of the match. A well worked move when Sibusiso Khumalo lofted an incredible through ball over the top of the Celtic defense, with Niang catching them on the back foot as he put the ball into the back of the net.

The visitors continued to go route one with the long ball towards Niang, though Phunya Sele Sele were not going to make the same mistake twice. Celtic captain Clayton Daniels was continuously harassing the skillful Sameehg Doutie. The right winger was not allowed any space down the right flank and was closed down immediately as soon as he received the ball in the attacking third.

The opening quarter was a very scrappy affair with the majority of the play happening in the middle of the park. Also both sides were unable to make full use of the ball once they reached the final third of the pitch.

In the 17th minute, Siwelele attacker Lerato Lamola had the best chance for the home side. He had received the ball inside the area, but his options at goal were closed down quickly by goalkeeper Ronwen Williams who produced the save. Minutes later Williams almost found himself in an embarrassing situation when he threw the ball directly at Musa Nyatama, though Nyatama was unable to punish Williams for the lapse in concentration.

In the 25th minute it was Khumalo again for Matsatsantsa, this time with an effort of his own. Khumalo struck a 35 yard long range effort that whistled inches over the crossbar. At the other end, Daniels thought he had equalized for Phunya Sele Sele when he headed home from a corner. Unfortunately for him, there was a foul on goalkeeper Williams and he’s goal was disallowed.

At the half hour mark Matsatsantsa almost found the back of the net once more, but this time from a corner. The well taken set piece aimed at the near post met the head of Enocent Mkhabela, who’s effort came of the woodwork. Ten minutes later Doutie found some space on the edge of the 18 yard area, before he struck a fantastic shot beating Patrick Tignyeemb, but narrowly misses the target.

The second half became more physical as the tension rose. Doutie was seen drifting more towards the midfield in search of more ball and time on the ball to enable him to make those daunting runs.

Meanwhile Celtic were continued to struggle in penetrating the stern defense of Matsatsantsa. Keagan Buchanan’s strike from a set piece went high and wide, while Daniels header from a corner went straight into the arms of Williams. Ernst Middendorp introduced Lyle Lakay into the midfield, with the hope that he would be the game changer.

It took a phenomenal strike in the 78th minute by Gebadinho Mhango from 24 yards out to level the scores, as Celtic walked away with a point.


Follow Shifaan Ryklief on