thumbnail Hello,


  • 31 March 2013
  • • 15:30
  • • Free State Stadium, Bloemfontein
  • Referee: T. Nkosi
  • • Attendance: 40000

Bloemfontein Celtic 0-3 Kaizer Chiefs: The AmaKhosi rise to the occasion

Bloemfontein Celtic 0-3 Kaizer Chiefs: The AmaKhosi rise to the occasion


Chiefs showed their mettle by defeating Bloemfontein Celtic at the Free State Stadium on Sunday

Kaizer Chiefs moved seven points clear of Orlando Pirates at the top of the PSL log after defeating Bloemfontein Celtic 3-0 at the Free State Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

Chiefs opened the scoring in controversial fashion as Kingston Nkhatha diverted an errant strike from Simphiwe Tshabalala into the back of the net, but the striker’s goal should have been disallowed as he was marginally offside.

Tshabalala was in the action once again as his deflected effort found the back of the net in the 64th minute, giving Chiefs an unassailable 2-0 lead.

Josta Dladla scored late on to give Chiefs a 3-0 lead, after Chiefs dismantled Celtic's defenders once again.

Kaizer Chiefs began the match with the opportunity to gain a seven point advantage over Orlando Pirates, who failed to claim maximum points against Pretoria University on Saturday.

The game started at an electric pace in front of the vociferous Bloemfontein crowd, as both sides looked to unleash their attacking players’ pace.

In the  15th minute Chief’s very first chance of the match ended in a goal, as a mesmerising run from Simphiwe Tshabalala saw the player breeze past three Celtic defenders and fire a low shot towards goal, which was placed on target by Kingston Nkatha.

A shell-shocked Celtic may have felt aggrieved that Nkhatha’s strike was not disallowed, as the striker was marginally offside before directing the ball into the back of a vacant net.

Chiefs was lucky to escape a penalty 20 minutes in, when Morgan Gould handled the ball in the penalty area but the referee pointed to a free-kick on the edge of the area.

The resulting set-piece brought the best out of Ithumeleng Khune, as Lyle Lakay sent in a curling effort which forced Khune to tip the ball over the net with a strong fist.  

The intriguing contest continued to run at full throttle as Chiefs searched for a second goal, while Celtic tried desperately to find the equaliser.

Erick Mathoho almost found the second for Chiefs against his old club, as the influential Tshabalala curled in a pinpoint corner-kick, which Matoho met with a powerful header that went inches wide past the near post. 

Celtic came close in the dying embers of the first half after a low cross from Lennox Bacela almost set up Joel Mogorosi right in front of a gaping net, with the player inches away from finding a decisive touch.

Celtic went into half-time with some momentum and continued to search for the equaliser as the second stanza burst into life early on, with Chiefs forced into some desperate defending.

The league leaders looked to sit on their slim one goal advantage and shut up shop, as Celtic began to dominate possession and force Chiefs onto the back foot.

But the AmaKhosi was able to regroup as their creative genius Tshabalala almost released Reneilwe Letsholonyane in the box with an incisive ball which only just eluded Yeye.

Chief’s character was rewarded in the 67th minute as Bernard Parker sent a low cross into the path of Tshabalala, who curled his left-footed strike towards goal which took a wicked deflection and found the bottom corner of the net leaving Patrick Tignyemb stranded.

Chiefs was put under pressure as the second came to a close, but was able to secure a 3-0 victory as Josta Dladla finished off a clinical move in the final minute of the game, which could prove to be a season-defining moment for the side as they surge seven points clear at the top of the PSL log.