Bloemfontein Celtic 1-1 Kaizer Chiefs: Amakhosi surrender lead in the Free State
Amakhosi’s poor start to the season continued as they failed to beat to Phunya Sele Sele at the Free State Stadium

Kaizer Chiefs gave away a late penalty to draw 1-1 away to Bloemfontein Celtic on Sunday afternoon

Eric Mathoho opened the scoring with a powerful header in the first half, but Atusaye Nyondo’s penalty denied rescued a point for the home side. 

Amakhosi's preparations were marred by Itumeleng Khune's injury which forced Steve Komphela to with Brilliant Khuzwayo in between the sticks. 

For Celtic, a few of their new signings made were unleashed by Veselin Jelusic, including Lucky Baloyi and Jacky Motshegwa. 

The home side took time to gel as this was their first competitve match, and facing Chiefs was always going to be a very difficult task for them. 

However, they were tactically smart as Jelusic packed the midfield with three players, making it extremely hard for the visitors to penetrate through the middle.

Keagan Buchanan tried in vain to spread those passes as he was often forced to play facing his goal, making more back passes than forward passes.

But his 36th-minute corner was good enough enough for Mathoho to put Chiefs in front after being left unmarked in the box. 

Tower lost his marker inside the small box, before firing Amakhosi ahead with a powerful header, leaving Patrick Tignyemb rooted to the spot. 

Celtic upped their tempo in the second half, and took the game to Chiefs, who looked solid in defence, but struggled to play their usual flowing game. 

Perhaps the pitch was to blame for their below-par performance, and Komphela would very disappointed with his team's failure to come to the party, especially because Celtic somewhat took the foot off the gas, although Alfred Ndengane did the most of the job by closing down the likes of Buchanan and Siphiwe Tshabalala. 

The hosts made some changes to try and wrestle the game away from Chiefs, who looked comfortable until Lorenzo Gordinho gave away a penalty after handling the ball inside the box in the 74th minute. 

Nyondo stepped up and sent Khuzwayo the wrong way, and therefore giving the packed crowd at the venue some renewed hope in the final 15 minutes. 

Article continues below

Chiefs came back stronger after conceding the goal, but Celtic should thank Tignyemb, who produced a few good saves, denying Willard Katsande toward the end. 

It would been a massive confidence booster for Chiefs should they have beaten Celtic, having already crashed out of the MTN8. 

Komphela's biggest problem right now is to find that goalscorer, who will bang in goals for his team, but he will need to instill discipline in defence to avoid giving away cheap goals. 

Comments ()