thumbnail Hello,


  • 01 May 2013
  • • 17:00
  • • Cape Town Stadium, Cape Town
  • Referee: R. Smith
  • • Attendance: 38781

Ajax Cape Town 3-1 Kaizer Chiefs: Ajax blow the title race wide open

Ajax Cape Town 3-1 Kaizer Chiefs: Ajax blow the title race wide open


Ajax Cape Town moved away from the relegation zone with an impressive 3-1 win over Kaizer Chiefs at the Cape Town Stadium on Wednesday night

Amakhosi looked to stretch their lead at the top of the log with maximum points against Ajax Cape Town, but it was the home side who fired the first shot of the game in the 2nd minute through Khama Billiat who forced a brilliant save out of Itumeleng Khune.

AmaKhosi were on top of their opponents from the 3rd minute and they dictated the midfield with Reneilwe Letsholonyane spreading those passes to Kingston Nkhatha and Bernard Parker.

Nkhatha nearly capitalized on Ajax’s defensive error in the 5th minute, but the Zimbabwean failed to hit the target as he let his shot fly over the bar.

The visitors started to threaten their opposition’s goal after the 20th minute, and should have taken the lead when Siphiwe Tshabalala’s well played back pass was missed by George Lebese in what looked easier to score than to miss.

Ajax didn’t hold back, but they were at times fouled by Chiefs midfielders before they can even reach the final third.

However, the home side deservedly took the lead in the 35th minute when they caught Chiefs on transition play and it was Lebohang Manyama who chipped the ball over Khune to make it 1-0.

Chiefs then got back into the game, but played long balls to Nkhatha who was tightly marked by Matthew Booth. Tshabalala had his shot blocked by the Ajax keeper Sean Roberts before the interval, as the Urban Warriors held onto their lead after the first 45 minutes.

Stuart Baxter introduced Lehlohonolo Majoro for George Lebese at the beginning of the second half as the AmaKhosi boss looked for an early equalizer.

Majoro’s first shot at goal came inside the first 3 minutes, but it was deflected for a corner that Chiefs failed to make a good use of it.

AmaKhosi continued to pile the pressure on  Ajax, but they couldn’t take their chances especially from dead-ball situations.

Ajax Cape Town were unlucky not to have doubled their lead in the 63rd minute when Manyama’s executed cross was perfectly met by Losper inside the penalty area, but Khune produced a fine save to keep AmaKhosi in the game.

Manyama was again a thorn in the Chiefs defence especially on the left hand side where Tsepo Masilela was operating, but the Ajax goalscorer was denied by Khune.

Ajax had their penalty appeal turned down in the 70th minute when Mabhuti Khenyeza fell inside the Chiefs box after a challenge from Erick Mathoho.

AmaKhosi then equalized in the 77th minute when Tefu Mashamaite rose above the Ajax defence to nod from Tshabalala’s corner.

The visitors started knocking the ball around as they looked comfortable on the ball and Baxter immediately introduced Sthembiso Ngcobo as he looked for the winner.

However, it was Ajax who got a winner in the 88th minute when Manyama beautifully slotted home to make it 2-1.

Chiefs looked vulnerable at the back and left spaces when going forward and they were punished again on stoppage time when Mabhuti Khenyeza made it 3-1 to put the game beyond Chiefs’ control.