thumbnail Hello,


  • 18 May 2013
  • • 15:00
  • • Loftus Versfeld Stadium, Pretoria (Tshwane)
  • Referee: T. Nvanveka
  • • Attendance: 8000

University of Pretoria 1-0 Kaizer Chiefs: AmaKhosi end the season with a loss

University of Pretoria 1-0 Kaizer Chiefs: AmaKhosi end the season with a loss

Getty Images

Kaizer Chiefs were officially handed their league title despite their 1-0 defeat to AmaTuks at the Mbombela Stadium on Saturday afternoon

University of Pretoria welcomed the newly crowned PSL champions Kaizer Chiefs in what was their last chance to make it to the top eight teams at the Mbombela Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

The visitors dominated possession earlier on and Siphiwe Tshabalala was often instrumental in Chiefs’ attack, as they looked to punish AmaTuks.

AmaTuks nearly capitalized on Erick Mathoho’s defensive error in the 12th minute, but the Chiefs defence regrouped quickly and cleared the ball away from danger.

Chiefs should have taken the lead in the 21st minute when Kingston Nkhatha found himself in the Tuks penalty area, but the Zimbabwean striker was comfortably denied by Washington Arubi.

Nkhatha was again wasteful in front of goal after he was played by Bernard Parker in the 26th minute, but the AmaKhosi marksman poorly shot straight into Arubi’s hands.

Chiefs should have been 1-0 up in the 31st minute when Nkhatha failed to connect with Keegan Ritchie’s cross with Arubi already and he fluffed the ball across the poles to the frustration of the AmaKhosi fans.

The home side managed to have several shots on target as Mame Niang tried to add to his 10-goal tally, but Itumeleng Khune had his body behind the ball to make easy saves and both teams had to go to the dressing goalless.

The second half started with pace and tempo as both Chiefs and AmaTuks looked to give their fans something to smile about.

The visitors then took the lead in the 60th minute when Mosadi took advantage of Chiefs’ lack of pace at the back after being played through by Mame Niang, and Mosadi made no mistake from close range.

Chiefs looked to bounce back from a goal down in the 70th minute, but AmaTuks cleared the danger after scrambling inside the penalty area.

Aubrey Ngoma beat Ritchie for pace in the 75th minute, as the home side looked dangerous in their attacks, but Khune came off his line to deny the striker who is on loan from Pirates.

AmaKhosi nearly got the equalizer in the 77th minute after putting enough pressure on the Tuks defence, but Arubi parried over the bar.

Itumeleng Khune had to make a block in the last 10 minute when he denied Mpho Maruping in what should have been Tuks second of the game.

Substitute Kaizer Moatung Jnr did well to keep his bicycle kick on target in the 83rd minute, but Arubi made a fine save to keep AmaTuks in the lead.

In the end, it was AmaTuks who walked away with all the maximum points and gave Chiefs their third defeat of the season and something to worry about going into the Nedbank Cup final against SuperSport United next Saturday.