thumbnail Hello,


  • 27 April 2013
  • • 20:15
  • • Lucas Masterpieces Moripe Stadium, Pretoria, GT
  • Referee: V. Hlungwani
  • • Attendance: 5000

Katlego Mphela (Photo by Backpagepix)

Mamelodi Sundowns 0-1 Bloemfontein Celtic: Downs drop all three points at home

Katlego Mphela (Photo by Backpagepix)

Bloem Celtic recorded their second away win of the season with a 1-0 win over Sundowns at the Pilditch Stadium on Saturday night

Bloem Celtic looked for their first league win against Mamelodi Sundowns since 2006 and were quick to settle at the Pilditch Stadium.

Phunya Sele Sele launched their first attack inside two minutes when Letladi Madubanya crossed from the right, but his cross was too close to Wayne Sandilands.

The Brazilians then pushed forward and almost opened the scoring in the 9th minute, but Elias Pelembe couldn’t stretch well enough to connect with Jabulani Shongwe’s cross from the left hand side.

Richard Henyekane should have at least converted one of the two chances he got just before the half-hour mark, but the Sundowns’ striker failed to trouble Celtic’s Patrick Tinyemb with any of his shots.

Ruzaigh Gamaldien then gave Celtic the lead in the 38th minute when Sandilands collided with his own defender Alje Schut, as they were both trying deal with Joel Mogorosi’s cross and the Celtic marksman was in the right place for the easiest of tap-ins.

Sundowns continued to dominate possession, but failed to get something out of it as Celtic took their 1-0 lead to the dressing rooms.

The home side started the second half well and continued to control the game although they couldn’t get past the Celtic’s defence as their frustrations grew stronger.

Pitso Mosimane then sacrificed for Shongwe and introduced Katlego Mphela in the 59th minute, as Sundowns continued to search for the equalizer, but the visitors held on.

Celtic kept their feet on the ground and their captain Thabo Nthethe tightly marked Nyasha Mushekwi who later replaced by Edward Mnqele, as Mosimane looked for fresher legs upfront.  

Mnqele’s introduction had an immediate impact as his shot was cleared off the line after beating a couple of Celtic’s defenders inside the box.

The visitors were again under pressure in the 78th minute when they failed to clear the ball and it fell onto Hlompho Kekana’s path who hit his shot hard and low, but Tinyemb was equal to the task and parried to safety.  

Mphela had a chance to level matters towards the end, but Tinyemb made a fine save to hand his team all three points against the Tshwane-based outfit and dented their dreams of finishing in the top eight.