thumbnail Hello,


  • 15 May 2013
  • • 19:30
  • • Peter Mokaba Stadium, Polokwane (Pietersburg)
  • Referee: T. Nkosi
  • • Attendance: 35000

Kaizer Chiefs 1-1 SuperSport United: AmaKhosi win PSL title 2012-13

Kaizer Chiefs 1-1 SuperSport United: AmaKhosi win PSL title 2012-13


Kaizer Chiefs wrapped up the league title with a draw against United at the Peter Mokaba Stadium on Wednesday night

AmaKhosi started the game like a house on fire and they attacked SuperSport United from the first whistle, but they were often let down by the final pass.
SuperSport United tried to unsettle Chiefs and put more bodies in the middle of the park with George Maluleka and Sameehg Doutie leading the attack.
United nearly grabbed the lead in the 26th minute when Kermit Erasmus nearly caught Itumeleng Khune with a swerving free-kick from outside the box, but the Chiefs’ number one punched the ball away.
Chiefs’ first real chance came in the 36th minute when Lehlohonolo Majoro entered United penalty area down on the left and played the cross to Bernard Parker who failed to connect.
However, Siphiwe Tshabalala kept the ball alive on the right hand side and it was finally played to Majoro who then took the shot with his weaker foot, only for Rowen Williams to produce a fine save with his foot.
AmaKhosi should have broken the deadlock on the stroke of half-time when Williams came off his line to punch Tshabalala’s cross and the possession fell for Reneilwe Letsholonyane who then picked Siboniso Gaxa on the right, but the Chiefs defender blasted his ball over the bar, as the referee Thabo Nkosi blew for half-time.
Chiefs continued where they left off in the first half and it was Majoro who won possession from outside the visitors’ box, but his shot went wide. However, Lehlohonolo Majoro made amends a minute later when he ran onto Williard Katsande’s long pass that was misread by Williams to make it 1-0.
United struggled to get back into the game as they looked lost after that goal and Chiefs were in control.
Tsepo Masilela pushed forward and should have done better to at least give his shot direction, as it went straight into Williams’ hands. The visitors came back after the 60th minute and Khune had to make two fantastic saves in a space of a minute, as United continued to search for an equalizer.
Maluleka’s attempt was a rocket from the edge of the box which Khune parried over the bar for a corner. The Bafana shot stopper had to save Atuyise Nyondo’s header in what looked to be United’s chance to equalize.
United won an indirect free-kick on the edge of Chiefs’ box and Doutie’s low shot was brilliantly blocked by Khune and the ball fell to Sibusiso Zuma who was rightly adjudged to be offside despite putting the ball in the back of the net.
AmaKhosi nearly scored the second goal of the game in the 84th minute when Tefu Mashamaite met Tshabalala’s corner, but Williams positioned himself well to make a save.
Matsatsantsa finally grabbed the equalizer in the 88th minute after Zuma did well to lose his marker inside the box before unleashing a low shot that beat Khune hands down.
The visitors put Chiefs under pressure in the dying minutes of the game, but AmaKhosi held on as they finally reclaimed the glory with their first league title in eight years.