thumbnail Hello,


  • 16 February 2013
  • • 20:15
  • • FNB Stadium (Soccer City), Johannesburg, GA
  • Referee: D. Bennett
  • • Attendance: 6000

Kaizer Chiefs 2-1 Free State Stars: Chiefs reclaim their top spot with a win against Stars

Kaizer Chiefs 2-1 Free State Stars: Chiefs reclaim their top spot with a win against Stars

Getty Images

Kaizer Chiefs returned to the summit of the PSL table with 2-1 win over Free State Stars, courtesy of Reneilwe Letsholonyane and Bernard Parker’s goals

Kaizer Chiefs looked more the determined and livelier than their opponents in the opening minutes, and that saw them winning a free kick 35 metres away from Kennedy Mweene’s goals, after some slick passes between Reneilwe Letsholonyane and Siphiwe Tshabalala.  However Siyabonga Nkosi blasted his shot straight to the Free State Stars wall.

The visitors looked more dangerous on the left with Luyolo Nomandela giving Sboniso Gaxa a tough time, but his efforts lacked support from his teammates.

Tshepo Masilela moved forward inside the first 20 minutes and unleashed his shot wide after a clever pass from George Lebese. Free State Stars should have taken the lead in the 21st minute after a terrible mistake from the Chiefs defence, but Stars’ Dove Wome was too selfish with the ball and allowed Khune to make a save.

Amakhosi pushed forward in search of their first goal of 2013, and this time it was Eric Mathoho who directed his volley at Kennedy Mwene. Nomandela should have done better, coming from the left hand side but he failed to force a save from Khune as his shot went well wide.

Kingston Nkhatha failed to put Amakhosi infront mid-way through the first half when he knocked the cross wide, with Mweene off his line. Chiefs though continued to press forward, and had a penalty turned down by referee Daniel Bennett when Parker’s shot was blocked by the Stars defence.

The visitors won a free-kick outside the box, after Fikru Tefera was brought by Eric Mathoho. Stars’ Afcon star Dove Wome could not direct his shot and it failed to hit the target. From then, Chiefs could not penetrate Stars’ defence as the two teams approached half-time.

Nkhatha had a decent opportunity to give Chiefs the lead in the last five minutes of the first half from a free-kick, but he headed well over the bar. This was followed by Tefu Mashamaite’s effort which was similar to what Nkhatha did, although it was from a corner kick taken by Siphiwe Tshabalala. This proved to be the last chance of the half, as both teams failed to produce a single goal going into the second half.

The home side started the second half brighter with higher determination. Kingston Nkhatha hit the side net with his thunderbolt from outside side the box. However, it was Stars who took the lead in the 49th minute, when Fikru Tefera beat Itumeleng Khune with a spectacular kick on the edge of the box to make it 1-0.

Chiefs continued to threaten Stars’ goals but nothing paid off, as they looked desperate for an equalizer. The players thought they had won a penalty in the 60th minute, when substitute Lehlohonolo Majoro fell inside the box, but the referee whistled for a corner to the frustration of the Chiefs players.

The home side were awarded a free-kick outside the box in the last 15 minutes, and Tshabalala’s effort was blocked by the Stars’ defence, but the ball fell to Bernard Parker who directed his shot towards Reneilwe Letsholonyane, who headed home an equalizer to the delight of the Chiefs fans.

The stadium came to life again as Chiefs surged forward for a winning goal, and their efforts paid off after a stunning free-kick from Parker in the last 10 minutes. Parker scored his 10th goal of the season to give Chiefs a 2-1 lead. The home side didn’t stop going forward as Komphela’s men looked shocked with the turnaround. In the end it was Parker’s goal that proved to be the difference as Chiefs maintained their unbeaten home record this season.