thumbnail Hello,


  • 20 November 2012
  • • 19:30
  • • FNB Stadium (Soccer City), Johannesburg, GA
  • Referee: V. Gomes
  • • Attendance: 8000

Kaizer Chiefs 3-2 Moroka Swallows: Majoro late winner seals victory for Chiefs

Kaizer Chiefs 3-2 Moroka Swallows: Majoro late winner seals victory for Chiefs

Moroka Swallows were denied a draw as Lehlohonolo Majoro scored an injury time winner

Kaizer Chiefs snatched victory over local rivals Moroka Swallows at the FNB Stadium on Tuesday evening, following a five goal thriller which Chiefs edged 3-2.

A breath-taking first half saw three goals with Reneilwe Letsholonyane scoring first early on. Swallows responded via the boot of Lerato Chabangu, but Letsholonyane netted a second goal to maintain Chief’s lead.

Swallows had to find a response and Bennet Chenene provided with a good finish to make it 2-2. But Lehlohonolo Majoro tormented Swallows once again with a 97th minute winner which confirmed victory for the AmaKhosi. 

Chiefs were aiming to find a positive result in order to continue their unbeaten run in the PSL. They started with Lehlohonolo Majoro and Bernard Parker upfront forming a deadly attacking force.

The league leaders began the match with flair and speed and were awarded with an early strike when Reneilwe Letsholonyane finished off a sublime move by a trio of Chiefs players in the 7th minute.

Siphiwe Tshabalala received an incisive pass by Letsholonyane, shrugged off his marker on the left wing and burst into space with great pace. His well-timed ball to Lehlohonolo Majoro was received by the striker who fired a low cross into the box which Letsholonyane finished with a simple tap-in.   

A rather aggressive period of the game ensued, as tackles began to fly in, reminding everyone in the crowd that this was a derby match. Even though Chiefs had dominated 30 minutes of the clash there was to be a sudden shift in power as Swallows scored a timely equaliser.  

Lerato Chabangu found himself in acres of space in the 33rd minute after Felix Obada sent in a powerful low cross from wide on the right wing. The midfielder did not hesitate when he rifled in a low strike, which Ithumeleng Khune had no chance of saving.

Following the goal, Chenene had another fantastic opportunity but his shot flashed across the goal mouth. He was left to rue his miss, as minutes later Chiefs were once again in the lead, wrestling control of the match from Swallows once again.  

Letsholonyane scored his second goal of the night after Bernard Parker provided the midfielder with a well-weighted ball. Letsholonyane made no mistake in finishing the chance, as he slammed in a powerful shot at the near post.

Chiefs dominated the rest of first half as they dismantled the Swallows defence on numerous occasions with Tefu Mashamaite having a header cleared off the line and Majoro powering a close range effort into the crossbar.

The high-tempo affair continued into the second stanza, as Swallows began the search for an equaliser. Chiefs struggled to maintain their initial control of the game and Chenene finally scored in the 59th minute after receiving a killer pass from Giorgi Nergadze.

The low, accurate pass allowed Chenene to sweep in a low drive which brought Swallows back into the game.

The dramatic encounter seemed destined for more goals as both defences continued to make mistakes. Tshabalala had two efforts saved by Greg Etafia, including a superb curling free-kick, as Chiefs tried to regain their lead.

Their perseverance was awarded right at the death, as Majoro was able to get a touch on the ball after a corner kick was flicked on into the area. Majoro directed the ball into the net with his knee which broke Swallows' hearts and sparked triumphant celebrations by the AmaKhosi faithful in the stadium.

The goal confirmed a dramatic victory for Chiefs and keeps them in a strong position at the top of the table.