thumbnail Hello,


  • 06 November 2012
  • • 19:30
  • • FNB Stadium (Soccer City), Johannesburg, GA
  • Referee: Z. Mthetho
  • • Attendance: 3000

Kaizer Chiefs 3-0 Golden Arrows: Chiefs continue domination over Arrows with an impressive display

Kaizer Chiefs 3-0 Golden Arrows: Chiefs continue domination over Arrows with an impressive display

Getty Images

Kaizer Chiefs surge to a six point lead on top of the PSL standings after crushing Golden Arrows in Polokwane

Kaizer Chiefs eventually turned their dominance into goals with a 3-0 victory over Lamontville Golden Arrows at the Peter Mokaba Stadium on Tuesday night.

Chiefs had to play the match without leading PSL scorer Bernard Parker due to an ankle injury he sustained during international duty with Bafana Bafana. This meant Lehlohonolo Majoro and Matthew Rusike formed a new attacking partnership.

Golden Arrows began the match with an attack-minded formation, starting ex-Kaizer Chiefs player Stanton Lewis with in-form Norman Smith as his striking partner.

Chiefs were dominant for the majority of the match with Lehlohonolo Majoro opening the scoring in the 13th minute. Kingston Nkatha scored two goals in the final 15 minutes to seal a dominant win for the PSL log leaders.

It was a rapid start for the Amakhosi as they looked confident in possession while Arrows lacked rhythm and struggled to impose themselves on proceedings. Their slow start was punished when Chiefs opened the scoring in the 13th minute.

Simphiwe Tshabalala engineered the goal with a few slick passes in the midfield before setting up Lehlohonolo Majoro. Chief’s build up play mesmerised the Arrows defence, who could not stop Tshabalala from creating space for his striker.

Majoro made no mistake with his second shot of the game, burying a pinpoint strike into the bottom right corner of the net.

Arrows were under the pump during the first twenty minutes, as Chiefs looked to plunder their hesitant defensive line with more pressure.

Chiefs would have been wary of trying to hang onto their one goal lead after Maritzburg United’s late equaliser during their last league outing. They continued to play attacking football for the rest of the first half, searching for the second goal which would have given them a comfortable lead.

Arrows’ defence continued to look woeful, as they made careless mistakes and were guilty of ball watching on numerous occasions. The first half ended 1-0 to Chiefs, but the Amakhosi should have been more clinical in front of goal.

The second half started with Arrows looking to improve upon their defensive display and trying to create some of their own opportunities in front of goal.

But it was Chiefs who started like a house on fire, as George Lebese collected a long ball with impressive control. He sprinted forward towards goal and unleashed a strike but Pavels Steinbors looked impassable, saving the ball with a solid left hand.

Arrows grew in confidence as the second half wore on and began to boss proceedings in the midfield with around half an hour to go.

They started to create their own pressure as Chiefs settled into more of a defensive pattern of play with the substitution of Willard Katsande for Siyabonga Nkosi in the 66th minute.

Chiefs finally found the second goal in the 75th minute, as Tefu Mashimate played a long ball and Kingston Nkatha reacted quickly, beating an onrushing Pavels Steinbors to the ball with a powerful header which found the back of an open net.

Steinbors, who had been in control of his game for most of the encounter, would have felt guilty of being caught in two minds which resulted in the goal.  

Nkatha scored his second and Chief’s third with a clinical strike in the 81st minute. He collected a pass and beat Steinbors at the near post with a right-footed pile-driver which proved impossible to save.   

Chiefs were able to close out the game for a 3 -0 victory, confirming their spot on top of the league standings, six points ahead of Pretoria University.