Wolfsburg-Bayern Munich Preview: Red-hot Bavarians can extend their Bundesliga lead
Jupp Henyckes' side can go 18 points clear of second-placed Borussia Dortmund with a win over a side against whom they have not dropped points against since 2011
By Jerrad Peters
Fagner, Naldo, Madlung, Schafer
Vieirinha, Diego, Perisic
Lahm, Van Buyten, Dante, Alaba
Luiz Gustavo, Schweinsteiger
Muller, Kroos, Ribery
Jupp Heynckes will bring Daniel Van Buyten back into the heart of defence at the expense of Jerome Boateng after he was rested last week. Javi Martinez has a minor toe injury, allowing Luiz Gustavo to slot back into midfield.
Further forward, Thomas Muller should replace Arjen Robben on the right, and Mario Mandzukic is likely to face his old club ahead of Mario Gomez. Holder Badstuber is out for the rest of the season with a anterior cruciate ligament injury.
Dieter Hecking, meanwhile, is still without midfielder Vaclav Pilar, who was injured while on duty with the Czech Republic in August and whose knee surgery ruled him out for the rest of the campaign. Striker Patrick Helmes is also still missing after his knee injury in a pre-season friendly against Manchester City and is not expected back until next month at the earliest.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Bayern have won their last four matches against Wolfsburg by a combined score of 8-1.
- Wolfsburg last picked up a point against Bayern more than two years ago, when they played the Bavarian giants to a 1-1 draw at home on January 15, 2011.
- Bayern have kept four successive clean sheets heading into Friday’s match, and during that stretch have outscored their opponents 11-0.
- Ivica Olic has scored only two Bundesliga goals for Wolfsburg since moving from Bayern in the summer. Bas Dost leads the side with eight.
- Mario Mandzukic (pictured, right) played two seasons at Wolfsburg before moving to Bayern last summer. He is now the leading goals-scorer at his new club with 14 Bundesliga goals - two more than he scored all of last season for Wolfsburg.
- Since winning the Bundesliga title in 2009, Wolfsburg have finished no higher than eighth in the table and came close to being relegated in 2011.
Top 3 Predictions
VfL Wolfsburg 0-3 Bayern Munich
- 23.23 %
VfL Wolfsburg 0-2 Bayern Munich
- 14.95 %
VfL Wolfsburg 1-3 Bayern Munich
- 11.06 %
|Germany - 1. Bundesliga (BUN)||28 Sep 2013||Bayern Munich 1 - VfL Wolfsburg 0|
|Germany - DFB-Pokal (GERC)||16 Apr 2013||Bayern Munich 6 - VfL Wolfsburg 1|
|Germany - 1. Bundesliga (BUN)||15 Feb 2013||VfL Wolfsburg 0 - Bayern Munich 2|
|Germany - 1. Bundesliga (BUN)||25 Sep 2012||Bayern Munich 3 - VfL Wolfsburg 0|
|Club Friendlies (FRC)||26 Jul 2012||VfL Wolfsburg 1 - Bayern Munich 2|
|08 Dec 2013||SC Freiburg 0 - VfL Wolfsburg 3||BUN|
|04 Dec 2013||VfL Wolfsburg 2 - FC Ingolstadt 1||GERC|
|29 Nov 2013||VfL Wolfsburg 1 - Hamburger SV 1||BUN|
|23 Nov 2013||1. FC Nürnberg 1 - VfL Wolfsburg 1||BUN|
|09 Nov 2013||VfL Wolfsburg 2 - Borussia Dortmund 1||BUN|
|5||Daniel Van Buyten||Defender|