thumbnail Hello,

African Nations Championship

  • 16 January 2014
  • • 17:00
  • • Athlone Stadium, Cape Town, WC
  • Referee: M. Diedhiou
  • • Attendance: 5000

Zimbabwe 0-0 Uganda: Another Zim stalemate

Zimbabwe 0-0 Uganda: Another Zim stalemate


Zimbabwe held Uganda to a goalless draw at the Athlone stadium in Cape Town on Thursday

Uganda came into the match oozing with confidence after beating 2013 Afcon runner-ups Burking Faso 2-1 in the opening match of group B on Sunday. The warriors of Zimbabwe had played to a goalles draw against North African giants, Morocco.

As early as the second minute Zimbabwe midfielder Tawanda Muparati's attempt from 25 yards out was easily saved by Uganda goalkeeper Benjamin Ochan.

Both teams struggled to create any goalscoring opportunities up until the 20th minute when Simbarashe Sithole's header from close range went straight at keeper Ochan who gathered it.

The East Africans had a good chance to break the deadlock in the 43rd minute as the Zimbabwe backline was caught sleeping. However, Yunus Sentamu's shot was wide off the mark after he found himself unmarked inside the box.

One minute before half time, striker Sithole embarked on a run down the right hand side cutting inside before unleashing a hard and low shot which was brilliantly parried away for a corner kick by Ugandan keeper Ochan.

The Cranes had a brighter start to the second half as they forced a corner-kick on the 47th minute, but The Warriors managed to defend very well against the corner-kick. Striker Sentamu's looping header missed Zimbabwe goalkeeper George Chigova's goal post by a whisker on the 51st minute.

12 minutes later, Zimbabwe winger Kuda Mahachi's attempted cross hit the cross bar and the rebound was parried away by keeper Ochan, as The Cranes struggled to clear their lines.

Chances were coming thick and fast for The Warriors when striker Simbarashe Sithole missed a glorious opportunity inside the box a minute later, when he couldn't head home Mahachi's beautiful cross from the left.

The ever impressive Mahachi sent in another cross into the box on the 74th minute but substitute Charles Sibanda headed the ball wide as the Southern Africans continued to pile on the pressure onto The Cranes defence.

Zimbabwe midfielder Danny Phiri's free kick from 25 yards out 5 minutes before injury time was smartly gathered by Cranes keeper Ochan, who was kept busy by The Warriors attackers thoughout the second half.

Three minutes later, Cranes striker Sentamu decided to shoot instead of passing the ball to an unmarked Francis Olaki inside the box, but his shot went wide of Chigova's goal post.