thumbnail Hello,

8 Cup

  • 24 September 2013
  • • 19:30
  • • BidVest Stadium, Johannesburg, GA
  • Referee: L. Mfiki
  • • Attendance: 4500

Platinum Stars win Aggregate 6 - 3

Bidvest Wits 1-2 Platinum Stars: Ng'ambi shines as Dikwena seal MTN 8 final berth

Bidvest Wits 1-2 Platinum Stars: Ng'ambi shines as Dikwena seal MTN 8 final berth


The Platinum Stars midfielder scored twice to help Platinum Stars defeat Bidvest Wits 6-3 on aggregate and set up a MTN final clash with Orlando Pirates

Platinum Stars defeated Bidvest Wits 2-1 to set up a meeting with Orlando Pirates in the MTN 8 final on Saturday.

Robert Ng’ambi’s 60th minute goal looked to have put Platinum Stars beyond reach, but Denver Mukamba gave the home side's slim hopes a boost with an equaliser 12 minutes later.

However, Ng’ambi was not done on the night, winning the game for Stars and completing his brace with a 78th minute strike, which secured a 6-3 aggregate win for Dikwena.

Pirates qualified for the final after a 1-1 draw with Kaizer Chiefs earlier on Tuesday, and Dikwena squared off against the Clever Boys a few hours later to determine who would meet the Buccaneers in the final.  

Wits, chasing the game after losing 4-2 in the first leg of the semi-final, started the match with a purpose to score, piling the pressure on Platinum Stars in the early stages.

Nhlapo had a few early efforts at goal, but lacked composure in his attempts to bring Wits back into the tie.

Vuyo Mere's 21st minute strike caused Moeneeb Josephs trouble, as the ball took an awkward bounce off the turf, but the experienced keeper was able to gather well.

As the first half matured, Wits continued to push for the opening goal, Mpontshane making a few vital saves in order to sustain his clean sheet. Vilakazi and Chapman were denied by the keeper, with both players finding the target with their low drives.

Dikwena relied on a counter-attacking game, preying on spaces created by Wits desperation to score. The first half failed to produce any more chances as the visitors defended well, going into the half time break leading by two goals on aggregate.

Wits made early changes in the second half, bringing on Getaneh Kebede and Robin Ngalande in order to improve the team’s attacking play. However, it was Dikwena who created the first chance of the second stanza, when Siphelele Mthembu struck the post in the 47th minute.

Ngalande’s introduction almost paid off for Gavin Hunt in the 51st minute, as the Malawian’s left-footed strike narrowly missed the target.

Wits dominated play, but Dikwena’s concerted defensive efforts stifled their opponent’s attempts to create more chances.

Stars put the game out of reach with half an hour to go, when Moeneeb Joseph’s spilled a Vuyo Mere cross into the path of Robert Ng’ambi,  who merely tapped the ball into a vacant net to put Dikwena 5-2 ahead on aggregate.

As Wits threw players forward, Denver Mukamba scored for the home side in the 72nd minute, heading a Kedebe cross into the back of the net.

However, if any thoughts of a dramatic comeback entered Wits fans’ minds, their hopes were extinguished as Ng’ambi netted his second of the night, slotting home from close range after running on to a Mere delivery.

Platinum Stars were able to defend their heavy aggregate lead and will play Orlando Pirates in the MTN 8 Cup final on Saturday night, which will rank among one of their finest moments as a football club.