thumbnail Hello,


  • 29 March 2014
  • • 15:30
  • • Royal Bafokeng Stadium, Phokeng, NW
  • Referee: K. Qongqo
  • • Attendance: 2000

Platinum Stars 2-1 Maritzburg United: Dikwena get sweet revenge over United

Platinum Stars 2-1 Maritzburg United: Dikwena get sweet revenge over United

Getty Images

Two second half goals from Nyanda and Makudubela handed Platinum Stars a 2-1 win over Maritzburg United at the Royal Bafokeng Stadium on Saturday

Platinum Stars came into this league encounter without their captain Vuyo Mere and defender Benson Mhlongo due to suspension and illness respectively, as they were hoping for revenge against Maritzburg United, who knocked them out of the Nedbank Cup last weekend.

The home side was also looking to bounce back from their midweek defeat to Mamelodi Sundowns and get back into the top eight teams to be able to defend their MTN 8 title next season.

Dikwena made their intentions very clear in the early stages of the game, dominating possession and pushing forward more often, although their final pass was not so satisfactory on the day.

United were very cautious and kept their eyes on the ball in most cases as they were clearly looking to frustrate their opponents in the first 45 minutes of the game, and punish them in the second half.

The game proved to be a very tight affair that had little goalscoring opportunities, with Dikwena coming close to breaking the deadlock in the 22nd minute through Thabiso Semenya, who blasted his shot over the bar from inside the box.

Neither of the two sides could produce fireworks from there on, and both teams ended the half with the score-line at 0-0.

Allan Freese's side came back stronger in the second half and opened the scoring through Mduduzi Nyanda's strike in the 55th minute after a brilliant piece of work from Siphelele Mthembu in United's penalty area.

However, the Team of Choice levelled matters 10 minutes later through the boot of substitute Terrence Mandaza who was given time and space in the box to make it 1-1 from close range.

Robert Ng'ambi should have restored the home side's lead midway through the second half, but his attempt was saved by goalkeeper Virgil Vries.

Nonetheless, Dikwena regained their advantage with less than 15 minutes to go, and it was none other Mahlatse Makudubela, who tapped it home from Nyanda's cross.