thumbnail Hello,


  • 15 March 2014
  • • 20:15
  • • Loftus Versfeld Stadium, Pretoria (Tshwane)
  • Referee: P. Tinyani
  • • Attendance: 8000

Mamelodi Sundowns 1-0 Polokwane City: Modise strike keeps Sundowns in touch

Mamelodi Sundowns 1-0 Polokwane City: Modise strike keeps Sundowns in touch

Getty Images

Mamelodi Sundowns kept in touch with log-leading Kaizer Chiefs with a 1-0 win over Polokwane City in a PSL encounter at Loftus Versfeld on Saturday evening.

Teko Modise netted the only goal of the game in the 17th minute to hand Pitso Mosimane a nervy three points when Sundowns could have converted plenty more.

Chiefs beat Orlando Pirates 1-0 earlier on Saturday, momentarily going nine points clear at the top of the PSL table, but Sundowns ensured they kept pace with the log-leading Soweto outfit, courtesy of Modise's early goal.

Sundowns wasted little time in going on the attack, heading forward 10 minutes in as Ramagalela forced a brilliant diving save from goalkeeper Modiri Marumo, who had to get low down to keep out the striker's back-heel.

The Brazilians were looking irresistible and in the 17th minute, the home side took the lead as Modise toed home a block off the line.

Skipper Surprise Moriri was integral as he controlled a ball inside the area, before crushing a shot straight at goal, only to be denied by a block off the line, which allowed Modise to poke home for the opener.

Sundowns enjoyed the majority of the possession and kept up the pressure, with long-range specialist Hlompho Kekana hammering an effort goalwards on the stroke of half-time, but Marumo was equal to the task, pulling off a brave stop against the thunderous attempt.

Holding a slender lead at the break, Sundowns sought a second and 10 minutes after the interval Lebohang Mokoena had a glorious chance to add a second when he was put through on goal.

Mokoena made a run with the ball at his feet, but at the vital moment, the midfielder failed to take his chance and was denied by Marumo from a one-on-one situation, Marumo saving down low to keep his side in with a shout.

Sundowns would have been disappointed with their showing in front of goal as the game edged towards its conclusion, with Anthony Laffor, Mokoena and Moriri all firing high and wide of the goal.

At the other end, goalkeeper Wayne Sandilands, who was anonymous for the majority of the game was forced into making his first real save on 71 minutes, diving to his right to keep out a City header.

The hosts did enough, however, and walked away with the points, while City remain dangerously close to the relegation zone, sitting just four points ahead of basement side Golden Arrows.