thumbnail Hello,


  • 23 January 2014
  • • 20:00
  • • Loftus Versfeld Stadium, Pretoria (Tshwane)
  • Referee: V. Hlungwani
  • • Attendance: 35000

Mamelodi Sundowns 0-1 Kaizer Chiefs: AmaKhosi go eight points clear at the top

Mamelodi Sundowns 0-1 Kaizer Chiefs: AmaKhosi go eight points clear at the top

Ignat Manjoo

Wayne Arendse’s first half own goal handed AmaKhosi a 1-0 win over Sundowns in a match played at the Loftus Stadium on Thursday night

Mamelodi Sundowns started the game with pace, and launched their first real attack inside the opening two minutes, but Katlego Mashego’s right-footed shot was blocked by Willard Katsande for a corner.

Teko Modise was unfortunate not to have found the back of the net a few seconds later, as his long range shot came off the woodwork with Itumeleng Khune well beaten.  

However, it was AmaKhosi who took the lead in the 10th minute when Wayne Arendse deflected Bernard Parker’s out-of-the-box free-kick into his own net after he had fouled Tsepo Masilela.

Chiefs then started dictating the pace of the game with their transition play, but they struggled to create clear-cut opportunities.

Sundowns had their chances in the final third towards the half-hour mark, but Erick Mathoho stood firm, and often kept Mashego away from Khune’s goal.

The visitors nearly doubled their lead with less than five minutes to the interval when Siboniso Gaxa spotted Musona in the Sundowns’ box, but the Zimbabwean international could only direct his curler wide.

The Brazilians wasted two glorious chances on the stroke of halftime. The first chance fell to Bongani Zungu who couldn’t beat Khune in the near post after some brilliant display from Khama Billiat on the right hand side.

Anthony Laffor should have levelled matters a few seconds later, but he directed his header wide with Khune in no man’s land after a well played cross by Mashego from the left hand side.

The home side started the second half with more intent, but it took them 10 minutes to create their first chance of the half as Laffor rifled from inside box, only for Khune to make an easy save.

Billiat sliced past three Chiefs defenders toward the hour mark, but his casual shot was never going to trouble Khune.

Sundowns had their penalty appeal turned down in the 71st minute after Mathoho appeared to have handled the ball inside the box, as Chiefs sat back to protect their lead.

Pitso Mosimane threw every man forward possible as he wanted to at least get a point out of the encounter, but Chiefs remained solid at the back.

Sundowns thought they had grabbed the equaliser in the 84th minute, but Malajila’s goal was ruled out for offside.

His first shot was superbly saved by Khune from inside six yards, but the Zimbabwean forward should have scored from the rebound as he ballooned his shot over the bar.

Alje Schut’s acrobatic shot was pushed away by Khune, as Sundowns looked more and more dangerous in the final minutes of the game.

Chiefs caught Sundowns napping in the 90th minute, as Musona combined with Nkhatha before firing from inside the Sundowns’ box, but Mweene was equal to the task as he parried it for a corner.

In the end it was the AmaKhosi who walked away with all the points to go eight points clear off a second placed Sundowns side going into the second half of the season.