thumbnail Hello,


  • 17 September 2013
  • • 19:30
  • • Free State Stadium, Bloemfontein
  • Referee: V. Hlungwani
  • • Attendance: 20000

Bloemfontein Celtic 0-0 Kaizer Chiefs: AmaKhosi drop points in Bloemfontein

Bloemfontein Celtic 0-0 Kaizer Chiefs: AmaKhosi drop points in Bloemfontein


Kaizer Chiefs were forced to settle for goalless draw against Bloemfontein Celtic at the Free State Stadium on Tuesday night

Both Bloem Celtic and Kaizer Chiefs started the game with pace while trying to feel each other in the opening five minutes, but no clear-cut chances were created during this period.

Morgan Gould came close to opening the scoring from Siphiwe Tshabalala’s corner in the 9th minute, but his header sailed wide and high.

On 12 minutes Willard Katsande should have punished Celtic after the Free State team failed to deal with Tshabalala’s corner, but the Zimbabwean’s bicycle kick could only fly over the bar.

Joel Mogorosi connected with Koapeng’s pass just outside the box in the 26th minute, but the Botswana international sent his powerful shot wide of Itumeleng Khune’s goal.

Chiefs won a free-kick in a promising area after Tshabalala was brought down by John Arwuah in the 33rd minute, but Knowledge Musona could not hit the target.

Musona then tried from distance, 10 minutes from halftime, but his well-hit volley went over the bar.

Reneilwe Letsholonyane’s headed his effort went wide of Patrick Tinyemb’s goal when he should have at least hit the target.

Vuyani Ntanga’s rocket on the stroke of halftime was brilliantly parried back to play by Khune, as Celtic looked to break the deadlock.

Chiefs continued to attack again in the second half, and Musona should have done better in the opening minutes after he cleverly beat Clayton Daniels in the penalty area, but the 23-year-old striker smashed his shot across the goal.

The visitors had to clear Celtic’s attempted header off the line in the 58th minute after they struggled to deal with Ntanga’s corner.  

Ruzaigh Gamildien shot towards the hour mark narrowly missed the target with Khune well beaten after some great interplay by the home side.

Daniels penalised for handling the ball in a very good position in the 68th minute, but Tshabalala ballooned his free-kick way over the bar.

On 77 minutes Nkhatha was left alone in the Celtic penalty area, but the Zimbabwean forward spent too much time on the ball to allow the Celtic defence to recover.

Chiefs managed to penetrate the Celtic defence with 10 minutes to go, but Nkhatha was again wasteful as drilled his left-footed shot wide.

It was end to end stuff in the dying minutes but both sides could not find the back of the net, hence they were forced to share a single point.